On your first day at EIT, your tutor, manager or host will go over the emergency procedures with you. It is important that you get familiar with these and your area. Here is a guide that you can use Emergency First Actions
In case of an emergencies contact:
- 111 – Emergency Services (be able to provide the address and closest junction)
- Call a main campus line then extn 77 77 – EIT Emergency Switchboard (Or if calling from an EIT phone 77 77)
Some helpful links;
Working with other organisations
EIT works with contractors to provide a safe and healthy workplace. Here is some information for how we do this.
Working with Contractors at EIT on H&SContractor Health and Safety Policy
For more information please contact your contract manager, or email@example.com.
Accident and incident management
Whether you are staff member, student, contractor, or visitor, we want to know if you have been involved in an incident. This information helps us to prevent others from being harmed, and find better ways of keeping our EIT community safe. Please report any accident, incidents or near misses, that happen while you are working/studying with EIT as soon as possible. You can report them here
For emergencies, check out the Emergency Management Section. Otherwise, there are trained first aiders, and first aid kits on all of our EIT locations. Be prepared, and find out who they are once you get settled into work/study before you need it. Otherwise ask one of our staff members for help or visit our Health Centre.
Hazard and risk management
We all have a part to play in making sure we all go home safe. If you see something dangerous, first consider if there is something you can do to remove the risk then report it.
Here are some other key pieces of information;
Wellbeing Initiatives and Support
The wellbeing of staff and students is very important to EIT. We offer a wide range of services to support students and staff.
For students we provide a number of services including:
More information about these services is provided during student orientation and can also be accessed through the EIT student portal, EITOnline.
For staff we provide a number of services including:
- An Employee Assistance Programme
- A Wellstaff programme
- Harassment Contact Network
- Professional development support
- Mentoring programmes
More information about these services is provided during staff induction and can also be accessed through the EIT staff portal, StaffNet.
Training and Development
Everyone in our EIT community has a part to play in Health, Safety and Wellbeing. Check out our induction video (under development) for what part you play, and an overview of EIT. Once you have watched the induction video, your tutor or EIT contact will take you through a site specific induction. In other words, what you need to know about the area you are studying/working in. This will include;
- Emergency procedures for your area (Wardens, First aiders, and kits)
- Hazards in your area and how they are managed (see your areas hazard register) – under development
- Discuss emergency contacts and any relevant health information
- An training into any machinery or equipment you will be expected to use.
- How H&S meetings work ie. Toolbox talks, monthly meetings etc.
- Site specific plans or permits
For information on our Health related programmes, please see below;