Medical and Travel Insurance

International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance from the time they leave home and until they return from NZ to their home country. EIT would prefer students to arrange their insurance through the EIT International Centre to ensure that students have comprehensive coverage and for ease of making claims on their policy while they are in NZ.

Currently EIT’s preferred insurance is Studentsafe brought to you by Marsh/Allianz. Should you prefer to arrange your own insurance, you will need to submit a copy of your insurance policy to EIT prior to arrival to ensure your policy complies with EIT and New Zealand requirements.


Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website here.


Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website here.


Insurance Claims

If you have any questions about how to complete a Studentsafe insurance claim, please email or come and see the International Student Support Officer at EIT’s International Centre.