- IDEAschool / Fashion / Creative Studies
- NZ Diploma in Fashion [Level 5]
NZ Diploma in Fashion [Level 5]
Start your career in the fashion industry
The fashion industry and creative and cultural sector in Aotearoa New Zealand is looking for people who can apply core technical skills and knowledge of fashion design and construction at an operational level.
This programme will introduce you to the bigger picture of the fashion industry and how it operates both locally and globally. The programme will have ‘real life’ opportunities with projects from the community and fashion industry.
With your diploma completed successfully you can continue on to the second year of the Bachelor of Creative Practice.
Look at our works @ ideaschool.ac.nz
The NZ Diploma in Fashion [Level 5] is a one year (34 week) project-based programme designed for people wanting a career in fashion and to gain technical skills and knowledge required to work in the fashion design industry.
During the course you will:
- Produce digital documentation of your research and progress.
- Develop skills in fashion concept design and fashion illustration.
- Develop skills to produce and manipulate pattern blocks and toiles.
- Create fashion products to industry standards, after having prepared the specifications and planned the construction.
- Develop professional ethics and values in relation to your own creative practice.
- Produce a mini collection of clothing from concept to completion and present in a catwalk show.
- Prepare a self-development plan to determine employment options.
As a graduate you will be capable of self-managing design projects to completion by applying technical skills and processes within briefs. You will have the conceptual and practical skills that reflect current fashion design industry practices.
You will attend a field trip visiting the local fashion Industry.
A portion of the programme involves yourself organising, planning and presenting a mini fashion collection in a Fashion Showcase.
Your Future Career & Study Opportunities
You will gain a broad introduction and understanding of the different aspects of the apparel industry which will prepare you for employment or to go on to further study. The programme offers a pathway to Level 6 of the Bachelor of Creative Practice at IDEAschool. Possible jobs and career opportunities can include:
- Pattern making for a major fashion company
- Fashion designer
- Fashion illustrator
- Independent clothing designer and manufacturer
- Machinist for clothing manufacturer
- Fashion retail assistant
- Assistant to fashion designers
- Product manager for a fashion clothing company
- Continue your study pathway with the Bachelor of Creative Practice followed by Honours or Masters degree
There is one entry date per year:
International Entry Requirements
Academic Learning Services
Academic Learning Services is here to assist you on your journey towards the successful completion of your studies at EIT | Te Pūkenga. Our aim is for you to become confident, competent and independent learners.
We have dedicated advisors who can assist with your learning.
Find out more:
EIT | Te Pūkenga offers a variety of scholarships across various subjects and programme levels. Some scholarships are based on your age, some are specific to the subject you want to study. Not all scholarships are based on your academic ability and anyone wanting to study should investigate what scholarships are available to them.
You can find a list of EIT | Te Pūkenga scholarships here however there are many more scholarships offered nationally. Information about these is on an database called “givME”. givME is accessible at EIT | Te Pūkenga or at some public libraries. If you would like to come to EIT | Te Pūkenga to look through the giveME database don’t hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call in for a chat.