Make your passion for animals your career
Turn your passion for animals into a career with the hands-on NZ Certificate in Animal Care (Companion Animals) (Level 3). The programme will equip you with the skills and knowledge to ensure the health, safety and general welfare of animals in care facilities.
You’ll spend the majority of your time at the EIT | Te Pūkenga specialised animal facility with a purpose-built reception, live-animal housing, isolation unit and laboratory facilities and have access to the comprehensive library and computer facilities on-campus.
Your future career and study opportunities
Your possible employment opportunities include:
- Animal Care Assistant in a veterinary practice, animal laboratory, pet shop, kennel or cattery
- Employment with an animal welfare agency such as the SPCA
- Employment with an animal science research group
- Breeding establishments
- Grooming or pet sitting
Your study pathway could progress onto:
- NZ Certificate in Animal Healthcare Assisting (Companion Animals) (Level 4)
- NZ Certificate in Animal Technology (Veterinary Nursing Assistant ) (Level 5)
- NZ Diploma in Veterinary Nursing (Level 6)
- Bachelor of Veterinary Nursing
During the NZ Certificate in Animal Care (Companion Animals) (Level 3) you will learn about:
- Professional skills when working with animals
- Safe handling and transportation of companion animals
- Anatomy and physiology of animals
- How to care for companion animals
As a graduate you will be able to:
- Comply with all regulatory requirements and relevant industry codes of practice for animal care and welfare.
- Maintain positive interpersonal relationships and ethical behaviour in the provision of animal care.
- Apply knowledge of companion animal form and function to identify and respond to individual variations to normal health and behaviour.
- Apply knowledge of companion animal health, behaviour, handling, and husbandry to assist with day to day care and transportation.
You are welcome to make an appointment to discuss your study options with our staff either in person or by phone and also to visit at any time to view our facilities. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.
There are two entry dates per year:
English language entry requirements
Entry with credit
Academic learning services
Academic Learning Services is here to assist you on your journey towards the successful completion of your studies at EIT | Te Pūkenga. Our aim is for you to become confident, competent and independent learners.
We have dedicated advisors who can assist with your learning.
Find out more:
EIT | Te Pūkenga offers a variety of scholarships across various subjects and programme levels. Some scholarships are based on your age, some are specific to the subject you want to study. Not all scholarships are based on your academic ability and anyone wanting to study should investigate what scholarships are available to them.
You can find a list of EIT | Te Pūkenga scholarships here however there are many more scholarships offered nationally. Information about these is on an database called “givME”. givME is accessible at EIT | Te Pūkenga or at some public libraries. If you would like to come to EIT | Te Pūkenga to look through the giveME database don’t hesitate to contact email@example.com or call in for a chat.