- Horticulture / Hospitality / FEES-FREE
- Fees-FREE | Mahinga Kai Te Hoata [Kaupae 3] | NZ Certificate in Māori Traditional Food Production, Harvest and Management [Level 3]
Fees-FREE | Mahinga Kai Te Hoata [Kaupae 3] | NZ Certificate in Māori Traditional Food Production, Harvest and Management [Level 3]
Grow your Potential
Mahinga Kai Te Hoata [Kaupae 3] is for people with an interest in Mahinga Kai (Māori traditional food production, harvesting, and management).
You will develop skills and knowledge in Mahinga Kai to grow and gather your own food for whānau and marae and to be able to pass this knowledge onto future generations.
This qualification provides a pathway for graduates to develop capability and capacity to protect, maintain, and enrich mātauranga Mahinga Kai for whānau, hapū, iwi, and communities for future and current generations.
Contribution to community and cultural roles may include involvement in the following:
- Working as part of a collective to maintain whānau, hapū and community māra kai.
- Gathering traditional kai to fulfil the manaakitanga obligations and responsibilities to protect the mana and te tino rangatiratanga of the whānau, hapū, iwi and/or hapori.
There is one entry date per year:
On completion of the programme you will be able to:
- Apply mātauranga Mahinga Kai in a manner that is pono me te tika and in accordance with local kawa, tikanga, and relevant legislation.
- Communicate and develop relationship skills and strategies to foster whanaungatanga across a range of stakeholders.
- Exercise kaitiakitanga by supporting whānau, hapū, iwi and other stakeholders to preserve, enhance and promote mātauranga Mahinga Kai for present and future generations.
- Demonstrate pūkengatanga by applying appropriate contemporary technologies to Mahinga Kai mātauranga and practices.
- Exercise rangatiratanga to preserve, enhance and promote mātauranga Mahinga Kai ā-whānau, ā-hapū, or ā-iwi.
This is an open entry programme which means no formal qualifications are required. You must be aged 16 or over and you are required to have a reasonable reading level in order to cope with the programme and to carry out written instruction.
Academic Learning Services
Academic Learning Services is here to assist you on your journey towards the successful completion of your studies at EIT. Our aim is for you to become confident, competent and independent learners.
We have dedicated advisors who can assist with your learning.
Find out more:
Continue your studies with one of the following qualifications:
- NZ Certificate in Sustainable Primary Production [Level 4]
- Te Hiringa o te Taiao [Kaupae 4] | NZ Certificate in Māori Environment Practices [Level 4]
EIT offers a variety of scholarships across various subjects and programme levels. Some scholarships are based on your age, some are specific to the subject you want to study. Not all scholarships are based on your academic ability and anyone wanting to study should investigate what scholarships are available to them.
You can find a list of EIT scholarships here however there are many more scholarships offered nationally. Information about these is on an database called “givME”. givME is accessible at EIT or at some public libraries. If you would like to come to EIT to look through the giveME database don’t hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call in for a chat.