• EIT Te Pūkenga learner looking forward to graduating and starting new job

EIT Te Pūkenga learner looking forward to graduating and starting new job

March 5, 2024

Chris Temoni is looking forward to graduating with a Bachelor of Computing Systems (BCS) from the Tairāwhiti Campus of EIT | Te Pūkenga and his new job in IT.

Chris Temoni (Tuhoe & Ngati Porou) has a lot to look forward to this year.

Not only is Chris graduating with a Bachelor of Computing Systems (BCS) from the Tairāwhiti Campus of EIT | Te Pūkenga, he has also been accepted for an IT Support role at Te Whatu Ora.

Chris, 36, will join throngs of other ākonga graduating at the War Memorial Theatre in Gisborne on Friday, 8 March.

It’s been a long journey for Chris, who came to Gisborne from Waiohau and Tuparoa in his early twenties. He worked in different jobs but decided to return to study at EIT|Te Pūkenga to increase his skills.

“I loved computing, it was always there growing up. I was interested because my Mum worked as a receptionist and had done some computing.”

Chris started out completing the NZ Certificate in Business Administration & Computing (level 4). Enjoying the student life, he decided to continue with computing, moving on to complete the NZ Certificate in IT Essentials (level 4), followed by NZ Certificate in Information Technology (level 5) and eventually the Bachelor of Computing Systems (level 7).

“I enjoyed all courses, how all the parts fit together. Some were challenging but that’s what I liked about it”.

Chris is not bothered by pressure and likes “what challenges do to people, how they handle it – and bring their A-game”.

He would often help people out with laptop and computer repairs, putting to use the tools and learning from the Computer Architecture course.

“The surprising thing about using tools, is that buzz when I can solve a problem – it’s satisfying.”

One memorable experience for Chris was a trip to Hawke’s Bay where he participated in GovHack with a team of computing student buddies.

“Our lecturer drove us there, we unpacked at the camping ground and headed to EIT Taradale for an all-weekend Hackathon. The atmosphere was great, it was awesome, lots of students, lecturers and guests from industry. We ate well, had lots of laughs and finished with a prize giving. Good times”.

Chris is determined to not “lose IT” since finishing his study. He has explored local jobs and different ways to keep up with what was happening in the IT space.

“My goals are to keep upskilling, and work towards becoming an IT Manager.”

Chris is thankful for the support from his Mum, family and friends, “the lecturers who helped me, and peers who I worked alongside during study”.

“I highly recommend this programme. The BCS really helped me. I started off with zero IT skills, and have learned a heck of a lot. It feels great to be where I am now. It’s a buzz. Just so happy”.

“I hope this will inspire my friends and family to upskill and do what they enjoy.”

Tina Blumenthal, Senior IT Lecturer at EIT |Te Pūkenga Tairāwhiti, says: “Chris has been an asset to his degree cohort. His committed, calm, focused and quietly inquiring manner, coupled with an ability to draw on experience has meant he has been able to contribute on many levels to inspiring his peers. It’s been a privilege to be part of his study journey and I wish Chris all the best in achieving his future goals”.