• Hannah’s passion for a “dying art”

Hannah’s passion for a “dying art”

March 19, 2019

Hannah is one of few females working as saw doctors.

Without having any particular interest in cars, Hannah Gray decided to attend the automotive course at EIT’s Trades Academy during her last year of high school in 2016. “There were 17 courses available and I thought it could be cool and something different.”

Hannah enjoyed the three-term experience so much so, that she decided to enroll in EIT’s motor industry certificate. “The tutors made everything very relatable and easy to understand. We did six weeks of engineering too and I particularly liked the welding part,” Hannah remembers.

Her growing interest in welding was the reason why Hannah wanted to further upskill with a mechanical engineering certificate (level 3) which led to what she is doing now.

Hannah was hired by Shaun Moloney, owner of Hawke’s Bay Saw Doctors. At the end of February the 20-year-old finished her 90-day trial period and is now starting an apprenticeship.

It is part of Hannah’s job to sharpen chainsaws, mill blades, drill bits, knives and handsaws, to clean the blades, to replace teeth and to sharpen the tops.

“It’s a physical work which requires a lot of attention to detail,” Hannah explains, “We operate big machines and deal with sharp objects, therefore we have to stay focused and mindful of what is happening around us.”

On some days she is fixing up to 100 blades. Hannah says, she is enjoying the fast pace as days just flow better. 

Shaun is pleased to have Hannah in the team. “She turned up and I was sure that she would bring value to the dynamics of the team.” Employing a female never worried him, “The strength is in the brain anyway,” he smiles.

In her former workplace Hannah had faced criticism from a workmate who told her she wouldn’t be strong enough. “I bit my tongue and didn’t say anything. Luckily my family and my friends are very supportive. I’m working and trying hard and that’s all that matters.”

“Hannah is obviously very keen to get on with the job. After all it’s anything but an ordinary career path. Our trade is actually a dying art and it’s great to see young people wanting to learn it,” says Shaun.