• From Shy and Overweight to Fitness Instructor

From Shy and Overweight to Fitness Instructor

June 15, 2018

Fitness Instructor Jade Stacey Stafford-on track for a bright career

What started as a passion for fitness is leading to an exciting career path for EIT graduate Jade Stafford, now a Les Mills fitness instructor at the YMCA  in Gisborne.

Jade weighed over 90 kilos when she first enrolled for the Certificate in Health and Fitness programme at EIT two years ago.  Now she is a fit 70 kgs and living her dream.

As soon as she started the programme she knew she has found exactly her thing.

“It was just awesome,” she said. “I just loved it – I was so passionate about it that it seemed like entertainment. Ashleigh Sheldrake is a great tutor.”

After completing the certificate, she got a part time job at the  YMCA gym, where she was already working in the Oscar after school childcare programme.

She had thought she wanted to be a personal instructor but soon found her real interest was in teaching a class.

“I like to show people what to do rather than tell them,” she said.

She enlisted for the Les Mills programme and undertook further training. Initially she shadowed a certified trainer until she built up the confidence to lead her own class.

Then it was off to Auckland for a specialised training module before returning to the gym and leading her own high cardio exercise “Body Attack” class. This was recorded and sent to Auckland.

“I then had to wait patiently to see if I passed and I did – I now have another certificate on the wall to prove it.”

The Body Attack class is designed for agility and speed.

“There’s a lot of speed and recovery which is perfect for me because I do a lot of sport.”

Apart from playing hockey, netball and touch rugby, she has just started football, which combined with three jobs, does not leave her a lot of spare time.

She is loving having her own class and her own regulars.

“They give me great feedback and that makes me so stoked – it’s great to feel I am helping them along the way.”

Apart from her gym work, she is a full time teacher’s aid and also works part time at Nina’s Kitchen.

Her employer there is great with food and has taught Jade heaps about sports nutrition.

Her sporting career is paving the way towards Jade’s ultimate goal which is to become a police officer.

“That’s about two years away because first I want to get a few more classes under my belt.”

She highly recommends the EIT programme which she says set her in the right direction.