• From study to employment in 48 hours

From study to employment in 48 hours

May 2, 2017

Shaun Whyte did not have long to wait until he put the skills learned at EIT to use.

Shaun graduated from EIT Tairāwhiti’s NZ Certificate in Forest Harvesting Operations [Level 3], a 20-week programme, in early March.

Just 48 hours later he started full-time employment with Blackstump Logging Ltd.

Shaun was working in a poorly paying job when he decided EIT was a good way out of the low-wage, low-skill trap.

Two months’ worth of pay packets later, he says he is pleased with his decision.

“I just wanted something different. There is a future in forestry and I wanted the tickets to start.”

Shaun was actually offered the job with Blackstump while on work placement with the company.

“I am loving it. I am a lot fitter now and I have more skills. Getting up early is not a problem now, so it was good to get used to it during the programme.”

Blackstump Logging owner-operator Wayne McEwan says team spirit, variety and earnings make forestry a great industry for young people to consider – especially as it gets more high-tech.

“I could see Shaun was really good straight away. He was getting out of bed early, showing up with a full lunchbox and working an honest day,” says Wayne.
“Anyone would have grabbed him.”