• Success thanks to family and tutor support

Success thanks to family and tutor support

December 2, 2013
Erina Malo-Kingi, student in the Certificate in Professional Catering and Cookery

Erina Mako-Kingi is continuing a family tradition as she pursues  a career in the hospitality industry.

Erina and her five siblings are all following in the footsteps of their mother – a chef.

“She is pretty proud of that alright,” says Erina. “We all grew up cooking and being with mum in the kitchen.”

Erina, a mother of two including a new born, started off doing the National Certificate Hospitality and Catering (level two) course, followed by the Certificate in Café Service (level two) and is now studying the Certificate in Professional Catering and Cookery (level three).

Originally from Hastings, Erina’s journey at EIT Tairäwhiti started when her sister did a hospitality course, came home saying how cool it was and encouraged her older sibling to follow suit.

“I love learning so many new things,” she says, “even how to cut an onion properly!” Her new baby has curtailed her job at Chelsea Hospital where she was cooking meals for the patients, but she is hopeful to soon be back in the workforce.

“I aspire to be a manager in a restaurant kitchen… well, just about anything other than washing dishes. I have done that and am now keen to get up that ladder!”

Erina says her study and success would not be possible without the support and encouragement she receives from her family and catering and hospitality tutors Karen Johnston and Gregor Ross, as well as Tony Davis, who is the professional catering and cookery course coordinator.

“They help me keep my dream alive – three months to go and I will be there.”