• Post by SHB-EIT Sport Scholar – Aimee Fisher

Post by SHB-EIT Sport Scholar – Aimee Fisher

May 13, 2013

Bachelor of Business Studies student Aimee Fisher

Hi, my name is Aimee Fisher.I’m 18, and an ex-student of Karamu High School.  This is my first year at EIT and I’m enrolled in the  Bachelor of Business Studies programme.

My sport is sprint kayak and, like Lisa Carrington, I specialise in the K1 200.  This is a big year for my sport so I decided to study part-time with just two courses a semester.  This is giving me time to train up to 12 times a week.   I can catch up with my class after overseas trips.

In February, I  managed to win a couple of silvers competing in the Youth Olympics in Australia. This was followed by the nationals in Rotorua, where I raced Lisa Carrington for the first time.  I didn’t get too close to her, but I did defend my national and Oceania junior titles.

I will spend all of July training in Europe, and my team then heads to Canada for the Junior World Championship.  I hope to win medals in the K1 200m and with my team mates in the K4 500m.  Sprint kayak is a tiny sport in New Zealand but it is very popular in parts of Europe.  Beating the competition will not be easy.

Junior worlds are very important to me, but they are still just a stepping stone.  My goal is to represent New Zealand at the Olympics and everything has to work around that.  Balancing sport and study is pretty challenging.  EIT and Sport Hawke’s Bay have been a big help in getting things right.

Hawke’s Bay is a great place to be an athlete and a student.