Get involved in sport and exercise
Do you like being involved in sport and exercise? Do you want to help people improve their physical wellbeing and sporting ability? Then this diploma is for you.
Get a foot in the door to the vibrant and people-oriented sport, health and fitness industries. You will learn about exercise science, anatomy and physiology, coaching and leading, and writing exercise programmes for a wide range of people.
Graduates are recognised as personal trainers by the Register of Exercise Professionals.
The NZ Diploma in Sport, Recreation and Exercise (NZDipSR&E) is a one year full-time, or equivalent part-time, programme which offers you stimulating studies and provides a pathway to a career in the wide field of recreation, sport and health. This programme has close links with the Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science.
In particular, the programme is designed to enable you to:
- Understand human body structure and function with emphasis on the musculo-skeletal system.
- Develop knowledge and skills related to professional practice in the recreation and sport industry.
- Understand the relationship between nutrition, physical activity and other personal health behaviours and health.
- Develop knowledge of a range of sporting and recreational activities through practical experience and active participation.
- Understand the sport and recreation industry in New Zealand.
- Design and apply group exercise programmes.
- Assess physical performance, apply exercise techniques and design exercise for people with special needs.
Subject areas covered are: anatomy and physiology, nutrition and health, coaching and leading, sport management and exercise science.
You are welcome to make an appointment to discuss your study options with our staff and to view our facilities.
Your future career and study opportunities
For trained sport, exercise and recreation professionals, employment opportunities are varied and exciting.
Possible jobs and career opportunities can include:
- Personal trainer
- Community recreation assistant
- Community health initiatives assistant
- Group exercise instructor
- Sports coordinator
Further your study with the Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science.
There are two entry dates per year:
Entry with credit
International entry requirements
Academic learning services
Academic Learning Services is here to assist you on your journey towards the successful completion of your studies at EIT | Te Pūkenga. Our aim is for you to become confident, competent and independent learners.
We have dedicated advisors who can assist with your learning.
Find out more:
EIT | Te Pūkenga offers a variety of scholarships across various subjects and programme levels. Some scholarships are based on your age, some are specific to the subject you want to study. Not all scholarships are based on your academic ability and anyone wanting to study should investigate what scholarships are available to them.
You can find a list of EIT | Te Pūkenga scholarships here however there are many more scholarships offered nationally. Information about these is on an database called “givME”. givME is accessible at EIT | Te Pūkenga or at some public libraries. If you would like to come to EIT | Te Pūkenga to look through the giveME database don’t hesitate to contact email@example.com or call in for a chat.