• Research is not just a job requirement, but fundamental aspect of professional life, says EIT lecturer

Research is not just a job requirement, but fundamental aspect of professional life, says EIT lecturer

April 16, 2024

Amr van den Adel

In this feature we interview staff members who have been identified as Early Career Researchers. In the spotlight is Amr van den Adel, a Senior Lecturer in the EIT School of Computing in Auckland.

What is your highest qualification and where and when did you finish it?

Doctor of Philosophy in Digital Forensics and Counterterrorism.

Are you currently completing any other post graduate programmes?

Yes, I am currently in my 2nd year working on my 2nd Doctor of Philosophy.

What is your role at EIT and what courses do you teach?

Senior Lecturer and I teach courses related to IT Concepts and Tools.

What areas do you specialise in?

Information Technology, Digital Forensics, Cybersecurity, Industry 5.0, Human-Centric solutions, Smart Education, Fog Computing, and Vulnerability Assessments.

What research have you been involved in either last year or this year (please give details)?

Last year, I was involved in research related to the Future of Industry 5.0 and its societal implications, focusing on human-centric solutions, challenges, and prospective research areas. This work was published in the Journal of Cloud Computing (2022), and Smart Cities Journal (2023) and has been cited 285 times since 2022 and 2023, indicating a significant impact in the field. Both journals as ranked as Q1 with high impact factor in the field. In addition, I published a conceptual framework to improve cyber forensic administration in Industry 5.0 at Forensic Sciences journal, which was another key research focus in 2022 and has received 8 citations. Since 2020, there has been a notable increase in the number of research publications in the field.

This year, I have continued my research on the convergence of different technologies in smart education, specifically looking at the transition from Industry 4.0 to 5.0, as indicated by a publication in Smart Cities journal (2024), which also has received a citation. The research details the roles of intelligent tutoring, robotics, and IoT in shaping smart education environments.

How important is research to you as an academic?

As an academic with a robust research profile, it’s clear that research is not just a job requirement, but a fundamental aspect of my professional life. My engagement in dynamic fields such as Cyber Security, Industry 5.0, Fog Computing, and Smart Education hints a deep commitment to advancing these critical areas of study. The significant citation counts of my publications, especially the influential work on the future of Industry 5.0, underscores my impactful contribution to contemporary scholarly conversations and technological progress. Moreover, with a consistent h-index and i10-index, my research has established me as a recognized and respected researcher within the academic community. This recognition is not only a testament to my scholarly dedication but also to my role in shaping the landscape of the field. Top of Form

How supportive is EIT in encouraging you to do research?

EIT has provided substantial support for my research endeavors, offering financial backing this year that has been instrumental in advancing my projects. Their assistance has also extended to increasing the visibility of my work within the wider academic community, thereby facilitating greater engagement with my research.