• EIT | Te Pūkenga students put skills to good use for fundraiser

EIT | Te Pūkenga students put skills to good use for fundraiser

February 20, 2024

EIT | Te Pūkenga Diploma in Beauty Therapy [Level 5] ākonga (students) Reece Coursey (left), Mia Jarman, Jessie Boyd, Brenna Garland and Leiana Cherrington.

Beauty Therapy ākonga (students) at EIT | Te Pūkenga have helped make a meaningful difference in the life of a young girl needing life-saving surgery overseas, by hosting a massage fundraiser.

Eighteen-year-old Trinity Hutchins has four rare Abdominal Vascular Compressions, as a result of a connective tissue disorder, that affects the blood flow to her organs and prevents her from holding down food.

She needs $180,000 for surgery at the Clinic Bel Etage in Düsseldorf as treatment is not available in New Zealand.

Beauty Therapy Lecturer and Programme Coordinator Jodee Reid says: “I am so proud of our ākonga coming together for a local girl, around most of their ages, who they don’t even know”.

They raised $610 treating 27 clients over two days. 

Jodee first connected with Trinity’s mother Anna McGrath, as her daughter also has a rare medical condition.

“When I saw that she finally had a diagnosis and was starting this fundraiser, I invited Anna to come in and have a treatment with our ākonga because I know as a caregiver myself, you’re the last person that gets any care.”

“So, Anna was talking to the ākonga who was doing the treatment and telling her about what was going on. And afterwards the student said to me: ‘Gosh, I wish we could do more’.”

NZ Diploma in Beauty Therapy [Level 5] ākonga Shellyanne Brown says it was nice to be able to help in some way for a family who is struggling.

It also just so happened that her niece is good friends with Trinity.

“My niece had mentioned her friend to me quite often. So, as I was doing her massage and facial, we started talking, and I put two and two together.

“It was just really quite touching and heartfelt when I was treating her that day, because I could just tell that Anna really needed some sort of pampering with everything she’s going through.”

Each week ākonga provide beauty and body therapy services for the REFRESH Beauty Therapy Clinic as part of their practical training.

“It’s really good for us as well, to be able to get some practice in before our assessments. But the fact that there’s something behind it all as well, just makes it that bit more special.”

Jodee says the Beauty Team and ākonga usually participate in several fundraisers each year including  Jammies for June, Pink Shirt Day, and Gumboot Friday. However, due to the cyclone, their clinic had not been operating until last month.

“Her unwavering determination to overcome health challenges has inspired us, and we are committed to helping her achieve her goal.”

Mum Anna McGrath says the support they have received from EIT | Te Pūkenga has been “absolutely amazing”.

“The girls have just been incredible. It has just really touched us to the core, the fact that they did that.”