• Studying at EIT paves way for international student

Studying at EIT paves way for international student

May 4, 2022

Mahima graduated from EIT’s Hawke’s Bay campus in Taradale with a Bachelor of Business Studies majoring in Management.

Studying at EIT has opened up a world Indian-born Mahima never thought possible.

Not only has the international student gained a Bachelor of Business Studies majoring in Management and a successful job with the Ministry of Health in Wellington, but she also says the experience has shaped who she is today.

The 23-year-old, who is a momonymous (one-name) person, started studying at EIT’s Hawke’s Bay campus in Taradale in July 2018 as part of an affiliation programme with St. Joseph’s College of Commerce in Bengaluru, India.

Having never travelled to New Zealand before, she says it was a “leap”.

“I wanted to do something with regards to business, so the degree was obvious. I also wanted to study abroad, and New Zealand seemed like a very good option because it was just really beautiful.

“But it was mostly because I had seniors who had previously come to New Zealand as well from the same college and they had given really good reviews about EIT. They were all in very good jobs, so I figured it was the right thing to do.”

Mahima says she can’t speak of the institution highly enough – not only in terms of its educational offerings, but for helping her navigate life in New Zealand.

“I am grateful to my lecturers at EIT who have supported and inspired me all the way through, but also to the EIT International Student Support team who were always supportive and organised multiple events for international students, which helped me to socialise and make new friends.”

She says her degree had the “perfect blend” of theoretical and practical lessons.

“My time at EIT was fantastic. I gained a lot of practical experiences through my study and my internship which paved the way for my career.

“Moreover, the group projects, guest lectures and all the other fun events on campus have all made my time at EIT unforgettable.”

During her last year, she was able to complete a six month internship with bbi Wood Products, while working as a library assistant at EIT’s Twist Library – something she credits as a “steppingstone” for her career.

“It gave me a real insight into what companies actually do. My number one advice for students looking to secure a new job is networking. EIT gives you multiple opportunities to network, and I suggest taking them all.

“If you undertake an internship, take it seriously and work hard on it – it’s the closest thing to a job and if you make a good impression, it might even lead to a full-time role.”

She moved to Wellington at the start of the year to take up a role as a Business Analyst with the Ministry of Health.

She is currently working with the Finance Technical Leads on implementing new software for the establishment of Health New Zealand.

While she doesn’t know what the future holds, she hopes to get her Masters in Business Administration one day, and progress in her field.

Her advice for international and domestic students considering studying at EIT, is to “take the plunge and do it”.

“All in all, I think making the move to New Zealand to study at EIT was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. It has made me an independent person and shaped who I am now.”

Russell Booth, the Programme Coordinator of EIT’s Bachelor of Business Studies, says: “Mahima was an exceptional ‘A+’ student, and all the staff in the School agree that she was quiet, conscientious and very hard working, consistently producing work at an extremely high academic level.”

“We are not surprised at her immediate success and impact at the Ministry of Health. Mahima embraced every opportunity with enthusiasm and maturity and is certainly benefitting from those efforts in her current employment!”