• EIT Beauty programmes the path to starting own business

EIT Beauty programmes the path to starting own business

March 30, 2022

Melissa Marfell, pictured here receiving her NZ Certificate in Beauty Therapy [Level 4], went on to achieve the Diploma in Beauty Therapy.

Achieving a Diploma in Beauty Therapy from EIT has put Melissa Marfell on the path to opening her own business and securing a future for her and her young daughter.

The 25-year old says she’s always loved makeup and beauty so saw it as a meaningful career after having a number of different jobs and becoming a mother at a young age.

“One of the main reasons I want to own my own business is to be able to work hours that suit my daughter and me, and still be a present parent. I want to be able to live comfortably, look after people and really make them feel good, but still be there for my daughter and not miss out on the afterschool events.”

Prior to studying at EIT, Melissa, who grew up in Waipukurau and went to Central Hawke’s Bay College, worked in an orchard, packhouse and at the meat works.

It wasn’t until her daughter Aahliyah turned one, that the then 22-year-old decided to enrol in EIT’s (Free) NZ Certificate in Foundation Skills (Hair and Beauty) [Level 2].

“I’ve loved makeup forever, but I had quite bad skin and always wanted to fix it. And then I did the certificate and it made me want to see where it would go.”

It was an adjustment for the Waipukurua-based Melissa, having to make the commute to EIT’s Hawke’s Bay Campus in Taradale each morning after dropping Aahliyah off at kindy.

“The level 2 certificate showed my daughter and me what study would be like for us.”

She proceeded to complete the NZ Certificate in Makeup and Skin Care (Introduction) [Level 3] at EIT. However, it wasn’t until she started the NZ Certificate in Beauty Therapy [Level 4] programme that she realised “this is definitely it”.

“We were actually working on skin. I had a client who had real bad rosacea and watching her over the couple of months I worked with her was really rewarding, as her skin changed dramatically.”

But, it has been achieving her Diploma that has made all the effort worthwhile for Melissa.

Melissa has high praise for her tutors and encourages others to pursue further studies at EIT.

“The whole atmosphere and experience was just amazing. The tutors support you through everything and their way of teaching is just amazing and very thorough.”

“The class sizes are really decent, so you get more one-on-one time if needed. When it came close to assessments, first thing in the morning they’d put up our marking rubric on the screen and go over what they’re looking for.”

Jodee Reid,  Programme Coordinator and Lecturer – Styling and Beauty Therapy at EIT, says: “Students like Melissa are the reason we have worked so hard to ensure a smooth pathway through the programmes in the beauty suite.”

“Seeing Melissa’s growth as she has worked through our suite of programmes, and now applies that accomplishment and passion in her community, is incredibly rewarding.  We wish her and her fellow graduates every success as they begin their career in this highly rewarding industry.”

The dream to open her own business remains strong for Melissa and she has since been accepted into the Growing Great Entrepreneurs programme, which is a Central Hawke’s Bay District Council initiative developed in partnership with the Hawke’s Bay Chamber of Commerce.

The programme accepts a handful of people at a time, and over a six-week period covers the ins and outs of starting a business, from the validity of the idea through to finance and marketing.