Scholarships ease the way

September 15, 2021

Taking up an EIT year 13 scholarship then winning one of the two inaugural Te Kupenga Scholarships has paved the way toward a dream for EIT Tairāwhiti student Annay Kara. 

Moving from her home in Kaikohe, Northland to Gisborne to study art has not been easy but knowing she has three years of paid study through the two scholarships has certainly helped. 

Annay, 18, is in her first year of a degree in Maori visual arts at Toihoukura – EIT Tairāwhiti’s Maori art and design school.

She plans to finish this degree then study viticulture with an ultimate dream to open a Maori art gallery on a winery.

“I love art. It is really calming for me. My favourite thing is to do art and watch a good TV show.”

Knowing she wanted to go to an arts school, Annay applied for the Year 13 scholarship and then the Te Kupenga Scholarship after some Gisborne friends who knew she was interested sent messages about the opportunity.

She is enjoying her studies – especially the diversity.

“I am learning so much from our teachers. One part I am loving is getting into the workshop and using the cutting tools for sculpting 3D objects.”

Moving to a new place was “kind of hard”, she says. “Leaving family nine hours away and coming to a place I didn’t really know was challenging.

“I have a twin sister and a younger sister and brother – it was tough but I have really grown up more than if I had stayed … You have to.”

“The friends I have made since moving here have turned into my family.”

Annay has some sound advice for young people wanting to study art.

“Follow your goals and dreams. Have confidence in yourself and don’t let other people’s judgement stop you.”