• EIT international student joins Hastings Youth Council

EIT international student joins Hastings Youth Council

April 28, 2021

Satyam Saha pictured at the Civic Square in Hastings.

Satyam Saha came from Kolkata, India, to New Zealand in February 2019 to study for a Bachelor of Business Studies at EIT.

From the get-go, there was no question that the 20-year-old wanted to do more than just study. Satyam is career-driven but also eager to use his diverse perspectives and ideas for the good of the community. “I want to make a difference and truly benefit our community. In the past two years, I had so many opportunities to contribute.”

In 2019, Satyam was elected (and re-elected this year) as a student representative on the board of EIT’s Student Association, Younited. He is the only international student on the Board for this year. Around the same time, the Multicultural Association in Hawke’s Bay invited him to get involved as the Youth and Student representative. Adding to this, he became a student mentor at EIT’s International Centre.

During the Covid-19 lockdown in 2020, Satyam joined the Tihei Mauri Ora Emergency Response team and delivered food parcels to people in need. “I really enjoyed getting out and help the people in need. It was a great experience,” he says.

Satyam is also interested in local government, so when the chance came to become a member of the Hastings Youth Council he applied for it and was selected. Among the 18 councillors, he is the only one currently studying in the tertiary sector. “There is such a great variety of initiatives, and I can’t wait to put our plans into action,” he says.

Satyam says that his studies not only give him business and accounting skills but have developed his ability to communicate effectively. “I feel I can apply this new knowledge to everything I do. I am much more confident, for instance when I approach potential employers.”

To work in New Zealand as a chartered accountant and inspire others to make an impact are Satyam’s big goals. “I want to show international students and other young people too that it is worthwhile to get involved and engage with the community.”

Satyam says he loves his life in Hawke’s Bay, travelling around the country and exploring new places. One of the only things he misses is his mother’s cooking. “Fortunately, I keep myself busy and don’t have much time to think about it.”