• Hand-up for EIT degree students

Hand-up for EIT degree students

April 11, 2019

Guest Speaker, Georgia Donnelly

Eleven young adults have been given a hand-up towards their tertiary education, thanks to EIT’s year 13 degree scholarships awarded this week.

The scholarships, which pay a year’s fees for degree study, come on top of the government’s first year free study grants, effectively giving degree students two years fees free.

Newly qualified primary school teacher Georgia Donnelly told the students how the scholarship had hugely relieved the financial burden for her.

She had been planning to go to Victoria University in Wellington but changed her mind at the last minute, daunted by the huge cost and the thought of being that far away from her close-knit family.Instead, she decided to do the three-year teaching degree programme at EIT.

“I am a home person and being close to my family is important to me,” she said.

“I also enjoyed the smaller class sizes at EIT and being connected with the people around me instead of being in a lecture theatre with so many others.”

Apart from having the family support she felt closer to her lecturers and also the very helpful support staff at EIT.

“It was a real whanau atmosphere for me,” she said.

The learning she had received stood her in good stead for her career. She now has her own class at Mangapapa School.

Handing out the scholarships EIT Tairāwhiti campus manager Jan Mogford said she took great pleasure from watching students’ progress from EIT into careers.

Over the past 25 years, tracking the students ‘achievements had been the greatest highlight of her job.

“At EIT you can interact with your lecturers and we also provide you with learning support and pastoral care to support you in achieving your goals. We all want to see you doing well.”