• Sport HB-EIT Sports Scholar – Dominic McGovan

Sport HB-EIT Sports Scholar – Dominic McGovan

October 1, 2018

With the Hawks season over and the new semester in full swing, now is a good time to reflect on the year so far, and what improvements are needed to finish this year strong.

Speaking basketball, the Hawks’ season finished in a flash. Making the final four was an accomplishment compared to previous seasons, but as a team we had ambitions of going all the way. Easier said than done, and that result did not come to fruition. After a hard-fought semi-final in a hard-fought season, the ending was not as planned, but that is the beauty of sports – nothing is promised, and anything can happen. Unfortunately, we were on the wrong side of fortune.

In terms of study, classes are going well with new subjects highlighting the array of topics EIT offers. This semester I am learning about the importance of statistics and how to analyse them in a sporting environment. For example, understanding how to see if there is any improvement in my shooting for basketball and whether changes need to be made for improvement.

My goal moving forward is to continue training to keep my fitness up over the break till next season. In the classroom, my goal is to ask plenty of questions no matter how dumb they are. By doing this I will maximise what I get out of every class. And I believe this is important as I sometimes feel uncertain on assessments and what is happening in class. So, with these goals in place it should lead to a successful semester and therefore year.