• EIT – Sport HB Sports Scholar – Amy Withey-Percy

EIT – Sport HB Sports Scholar – Amy Withey-Percy

September 3, 2018

As I enter my final semester of study, I reflect upon the journey has been thus far. I have had the privilege of working alongside some very talented athletes. I have witnessed the season that was and have thoroughly enjoyed watching players grow from strength to strength, not only as team but as a family. With this season over, my focus now shifts to preparing a training and conditioning programme for implementation next season.

This previous semester was not without its struggles; I fractured my foot midway through the season and encountered an intensive assignment load that left me with very little spare time.  This limited my own training and saw my priorities shift slightly. It became apparent that it would very difficult for the team to make significant improvements in one season with an already intensive regime of coaching sessions and games. It is well known among sporting populations that improvements need to be made in the off and preseason, which unfortunately were over far too quickly for us to achieve as much as we previously hoped for.

I am now in the process of creating a resource that will allow the team and players to get straight into a structured training regime upon arrival, ready to perform at their peak next season. Within this I would like to include a pre-screening process, periodised training plan, conditioning workouts, warm ups, cool downs, and prehab materials for all players. As for myself my goals are simple, keep working hard to complete my degree, continue to pursue my passion of helping others, and find my place in the world.