• Sports Scholar – Tyler Symon-Burke

Sports Scholar – Tyler Symon-Burke

June 28, 2017

So far my study programme is going great and I am looking forward to continuing this trade as a career and life skill.  I have learn a lot in the brief time I have been at EIT and been able to implement my knowledge and skills many times.

My rugby is also going great and I am progressing well.  It is a challenge managing the early mornings and late evenings outside of my study programme but I am adapting to that and know that it’s worth it.  The pressure increases rapidly but so do the rewards for the hard work that goes in. 

My main motivation is the potential for a contract with the Hawke’s Bay Rugby Union and to have a life of choices as a result of working hard and taking all the opportunities given.  My current goals are to be involved with the Magpies this year and hopefully the New Zealand Under 20s next year.

The main thing I have learnt since moving to Hawke’s Bay is that opportunities are much greater here but you have to work for them and be consistent, because there is always someone else who will take your place.  Whether it be in a rugby team or an employment offer I need to make the most of what’s offered to me if I want to succeed.