• First Degree Cohort Find Jobs in Local Schools

First Degree Cohort Find Jobs in Local Schools

January 11, 2016
Luke Rurawhe with William and Brigham Malaitai, brother and sister and Years 6 and 5 students at Peterhead School.

Luke Rurawhe with William and Brigham Malaitai, brother and sister and
Years 6 and 5 students at Peterhead School.

Among the first to complete EIT’s innovative primary teaching degree, Luke Rurawhe is starting the new year with a job at a local school.

EIT launched its Bachelor of Teaching (Primary) three years ago after an approach by the principals of four Hawke’s Bay schools. The wider community helped shape the degree, the first of its kind to be offered by a New Zealand institute of technology.

EIT also broke new ground with the level of practice-based learning included in the degree.

Each week, candidate teachers spend two days at designated schools and two on campus. They also undertake five school-based block practicums over three years.

Launched with six partnering schools, the degree now encompasses 22 schools. From Havelock North, Luke found the structure of the degree a good fit.
“All the schools have different children coming through the gates and I have grown because of those different experiences.”

Of Ngāti Apa descent, the former Napier Boys’ High School student worked in building and retail jobs before deciding on teaching.

“I brainstormed ideas with my mother Gwen, and because I enjoyed coaching children’s sports, she suggested teaching. She’s a bit of a hero.”

Luke was pleased to find EIT was launching a primary teaching degree. “It was right up my alley for how to learn, hands-on in the classroom. It
sounded intriguing, and it was good that the programme was being offered locally.”

The 27-year-old says the EIT classwork linked into what was being taught at his assigned school. He also welcomed the perspectives of school staff on
what students were learning.

“I always felt supported wherever I went.”

Luke is one of four in his cohort to have secured teaching positions at Peterhead School in Flaxmere.

“He will be a fantastic role model for children,” says Kirsty Jones, teacher educator on the EIT programme.

“With several weeks still left of study, almost all the graduates have secured jobs. A key feature of the programme that makes it different from others is
that candidate teachers find jobs at local school. On the ground two days a week, they know the schools and perform so much better than other applicants
for jobs.”

Luke is catching up with friends and family over summer. An accomplished sportsman, the former captain of the Havelock North Cricket Club is also
keen to wield a bat once again.

Above all, he is looking forward to his teaching role.

“I get satisfaction out of teaching youngsters, seeing them succeed in school. I think it’s great.”