Dream job for EIT student

January 14, 2015

Katherine Hodson_5Katherine Hodson didn’t waste time enrolling in EIT’s Certificate in Hairdressing – it’s the career the 18-year-old has wanted to pursue since she was “really young”.

Katherine began the two year course straight from school and is one semester away from realising her dream.

“It’s awesome, I love it – it’s worked out really well,” she says.

Katherine has made “lots of friends” at EIT and says the course has opened up a variety of different career options for her. She may have found her niche at the salon.

“I definitely have a strong passion for hair-ups and weddings,” she says.

Although Katherine has already tried her hand at doing the makeup and hair for a couple of weddings and balls, she is not resting on her laurels. She has started Katherine Lynnette Beauty on YouTube two months ago, offering hair and make-up tutorials online.

“I’ve had really positive, awesome feedback and have received a few freebies from some companies – it’s really exciting.”

She says her love of doing makeup began when she was enrolled in the Hawke’s Bay Trades Academy based at EIT – there are various courses offered to senior high school students.

“It was like a taster – make-up was part of my course,” she says.
Katherine has won “a few” medals in competitions since finishing the Trades Academy for hair ups and is a natural at picking colours which suit her clients.

“I love colour — it’s really cool. I can definitely see the potential when I meet a client.”

With a practical component of 60 hours working in a salon, Katherine so impressed her boss at Havelock North’s The Fringe and Beyond hair salon, her placement has turned into a permanent position as an apprentice.

“I’m ready to go when my course finishes.”