• Computing Degree Student Finds Her Niche

Computing Degree Student Finds Her Niche

October 29, 2012

Katja Feldtmann

When she completes her Bachelor of Computing Systems this year, Katja Feldtmann will already be well settled into a great job that harnesses her individual skills and experience.

Tourism, marketing and design experts Tomahawk Brand Management were so impressed by Katja, working as an intern for the Auckland-based company to fulfil a degree requirement, that they offered her a full-time permanent job as project manager. 

German-born Katja had worked in the tourism and hospitality industries for 12 years when she decided on a career change. 

“I was 16 when I left school and started my apprenticeship in Germany.  Then I worked, worked, worked.  One day I just felt that I could do more with my life than work in a restaurant or hotel.”

Managing a restaurant in Hawke’s Bay, she sought vocational guidance from EIT.  Careers counsellor Eddie Carson’s suggestions included computing studies.

“Computing actually didn’t come at the top of the list,” she recalls, “but I took it as a good sign that I never get sick of sitting at my pc.  I wanted to learn something new, work hard and graduate to the best of my abilities.”

Starting at EIT with the National Certificate in Computing (Level 2) foundation programme, she progressed to degree study.

Bachelor of Computing Systems programme coordinator Dr David Skelton says Katja has always aimed for A+s in her classes.

“With her IT skills and knowledge of the industry, she’s scored the ideal job, through the BCS Internship programme, working for a website development and marketing company specialising in the tourism sector. “ 

Katja loves her new direction in life, and although she still considers herself “a bit of a workaholic”, she enjoys joining friends for coffee in Auckland’s shopping malls, playing games on her Galaxy S3 and driving – “I love driving”.

Check out this video to hear what Tomohawk have to say….