• Young star in the making on EIT Tairawhiti’s Certificate of Tourism and Travel Course

Young star in the making on EIT Tairawhiti’s Certificate of Tourism and Travel Course

January 23, 2012

Kansas Reedy-Waru

Kansas Reedy-Waru is just 16 years old but has caught the eye of his tutors.

Principal tutor Maria Lovelock describes him as “the model student”.

“We don’t usually take students as young as Kansas but he has just blown us out of the water.”

Kansas came to EIT Tairäwhiti under the Youth Guarantee Scheme which offers fee-free education along with other support.  He had been living in Christchurch but wanted to get out after the earthquakes, so headed back to his birth-town with his family.

“Kansas has hardly missed a day, passed everything to date and is well on his way to completing the course,” says Maria. “He is just an all round lovely guy. We want to keep him learning and focused as he works towards his ultimate goal.”

That is to become a flight attendant or cruise director.

“I didn’t come home with the intention of studying,” says Kansas,“but I am so pleased I made the decision to move into tertiary education. I just love everything about it – it is so different from school. Here you are learning what you want to learn so it is easy to be focused because you’re heading towards a goal you want to achieve.”

And the support he has received from the Youth Guarantee Scheme has helped that and let him get on with study rather than worry about the finances.

Kansas will study for one more year before seeking work that will compliment his career goals.

“I have never been out of New Zealand yet but if I become a flight attendant of cruise director I will have the chance to meet new people and travel the world.”