Build a great career in construction
The NZ Certificate in Building, Construction and Allied Trade Skills (Level 3) is aimed at preparing you for further study in the construction industry.
This NZ Certificate is a project-based learning programme which allows you to explore, negotiate, interpret and create quality products. Throughout this programme, you will learn to link theory with practical skills and will spend most of your day in one of our workshops working with your hands.
There is one entry date per year:
Your future career and study opportunities
Your possible employment opportunities include:
- Entry level trade pre-apprentice programme.
Your study pathway could progress onto:
- NZ Certificate in Construction Trade Skills (Carpentry) (Level 3)
- NZ Certificate in Construction Trade Skills (Joinery) (Level 3)
- NZ Certificate in Carpentry (Level 4)
The aim of this course is to allow you to develop knowledge and skills to plan and prepare for a Stage 3 Building, Construction and Allied Trades Skills (BCATS) project, to apply those skills to undertaking the project and to compare against given requirements.
You will learn about health and safety, materials, plans and documentation, communication, measurement and calculation, using hand and power tools safely, collaborating with other trades, undertaking projects and reviewing quality of work.
You are welcome to make an appointment to talk to a teaching staff member about this programme.
Applicants must meet one of the following criteria:
- Achieved NCEA Level 1; or
- Evidence of achievement at an equivalent level; or
- Be over the age of 20 and able to demonstrate an interest in the industry and the potential to succeed.
- An applicant under the age of 20 years who does not meet the academic entry requirements may be granted entry to the programme where they supply evidence of their ability to succeed on the programme.
Academic learning services
Academic Learning Services is here to assist you on your journey towards the successful completion of your studies at EIT | Te Pūkenga. Our aim is for you to become confident, competent and independent learners.
We have dedicated advisors who can assist with your learning.
Find out more:
EIT | Te Pūkenga offers a variety of scholarships across various subjects and programme levels. Some scholarships are based on your age, some are specific to the subject you want to study. Not all scholarships are based on your academic ability and anyone wanting to study should investigate what scholarships are available to them.
You can find a list of EIT | Te Pūkenga scholarships here however there are many more scholarships offered nationally. Information about these is on an database called “givME”. givME is accessible at EIT | Te Pūkenga or at some public libraries. If you would like to come to EIT | Te Pūkenga to look through the giveME database don’t hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call in for a chat.