• Fulfilment in supporting people through difficult times led former EIT student to follow career in social work

Fulfilment in supporting people through difficult times led former EIT student to follow career in social work

October 27, 2022

Amber Carter will graduate with a Bachelor of Social Work (Honours) at the EIT Tairāwhiti graduation ceremony at the War Memorial Theatre in Gisborne tomorrow (Friday, 28 October 2022).

When she was about 20 years old, former EIT student Amber Carter realised that it was fulfilling to support people through difficult times and that has led her into a career in social work.

Her hard work and dedication to her craft means that she will graduate with a Bachelor of Social Work (Honours) at the  EIT Tairāwhiti graduation ceremony at the War Memorial Theatre in Gisborne tomorrow (Friday, 28 October 2022).

Amber, 25, who is a social worker dealing with family violence, says her background was instrumental in her embarking on a career that helps families in need.

Born and bred in Tairāwhiti, Amber completed high school via correspondence. After that she volunteered with St John Youth.

“During this time I was figuring out what I wanted to do with my life. I began to realise that I liked being the person that people talk to when they just need someone to chat to and listen to them.”

She decided she would enrol at EIT Tairāwhiti to follow her social work dream. Before that, she completed the NZ Certificate in Education and Social Sciences [Level 4] in 2017.

“It was a good experience. I think it prepared me well for the degree, especially since it had an academic writing class as part of it. And I met a couple of ladies on that course who continued on to do the degree with me. So I had a good support base that came out of that too.”

When Amber began the social work degree, she knew that she was doing the right qualification.

“I really liked the programme. Four years is a long time, but it was a really good experience and a good foundation for the work we do now.”

She says that she is looking forward to graduating, which has “been a long time coming”.

While she has no firm plans on how she is going to  celebrate, she is sure there will be a family dinner after the ceremony.

Sarah Elliott, the Site Coordinator for the Bachelor of Social Work at EIT Tairāwhiti, says: “Amber was an exceptional Bachelor of Social Work student, and graduated with first class honours. She applied herself fully to all of her learning at EIT which was demonstrated in her excellent marks, her successful placements and the relationships she was able to build.”

“As a women who is committed to making a positive change, striving for social justice, promoting diversity and empowering and advocating for people, she is a real asset to the people of our community.”

“Amber was easily able to get an excellent job straight after study, due to her excellent social work skills and knowledge she learned through her degree and her confidence, drive and passion,” says Sarah.