• EIT Tairāwhiti apprentice set to compete in national Certified Builders’ Apprenticeship Challenge after winning regional finals

EIT Tairāwhiti apprentice set to compete in national Certified Builders’ Apprenticeship Challenge after winning regional finals

September 28, 2022

Seth Lundon is currently doing his NZ Certificate in Carpentry [Level 4] through EIT.

Seth Lundon, an EIT Tairāwhiti building apprentice, is set to show off his skills at a national level when he competes in the NZ Certified Builders’ Apprenticeship Challenge in November after winning the Tairāwhiti regional finals.

Twenty-two year old Seth (Ngāi Tahu)  is currently doing his NZ Certificate in Carpentry [Level 4] through EIT, while completing his apprenticeship at Gisborne company, Fogarty Construction.

He joined Fogarty straight from school in 2019 and enrolled in EIT to complete the full-time level 4 programme while working.

Working outdoors and doing physical work appeals to Seth, who did not see himself tied to a desk job.

“I enjoy being hands on and outdoors. The thought of being inside and going to the same place every day never really appealed to me.”

Part of this also stems from the fact that Seth is a keen sportsman, having made it to quite a high level in rugby as a flanker.

“I play for the YMP rugby club, and we won the Lee Brothers Championship this year.”

It has been a busy few years for Seth, since he first started attending EIT’s Trades Academy while at Gisborne Boys’ High School. He completed the NZ Certificate in Building, Construction and Allied Trades Skills [Level 2] and also was part of the Gateways programme.

It has all set him up for a good career and he is enjoying working for Fogarty Construction under the tutelage of owner Daniel Fogarty.

“I would like to thank Daniel and my EIT tutor Allen Barton for everything they have done for me.”

It is that support that enabled Seth to enter and win the regional round of the Certified Builders’ of New Zealand’s Apprenticeship Challenge earlier this year.

“It was a really good experience, but it was a close competition and I just managed to take it out, which was a bonus.”

Seth won store credit for ITM, as well as a binful of sponsors’ products, for coming tops in the competition, where he was required to build a bench from scratch.

He now moves on to the national championships which will be held in Hamilton on 18 and 19 November this year.

Seth Lundon is completing his apprenticeship at Gisborne company, Fogarty Construction.

“There will be twenty of us competing, so it will be quite tough. We also have to give a speech and there will be a test on the Building Code as well. I am going to have to do a bit of studying for this.”

Having wrapped up the theory part of his apprenticeship, Seth is focused on finishing his practical work and continuing to work for Fogarty Construction.

“I am still young and there are many opportunities available for me, but I am enjoying doing what I am doing.”

Daniel Fogarty, Owner of Fogarty Construction, says: ” Seth has been a top man. I am always able to rely on him to turn up for work and he rarely has taken a sick day. Anything he does, he puts 100% in.”

“This is not just at work but sports as well and now he is starting to see the results and I am happy for his achievements.”

EIT tutor Allen Barton says: “Seth has been focused on his goals from day one, always a cheerful and fun apprentice even when he had a loss in the weekend. Reports from Daniel have always been positive and helpful which helps with keeping Seth moving in his apprenticeship.”