• EIT scholarship winner has positive attitude and clear plan for future

EIT scholarship winner has positive attitude and clear plan for future

March 15, 2022

Cory Newman is pleased that his EIT Year 13 Scholarship will help him achieve his goal of becoming a Chartered Accountant.

Cory Newman has overcome many challenges in life, but the Bachelor of Business Studies student at EIT’s Tairāwhiti Campus is pleased to have won a scholarship that will help him achieve his dreams.

Cory, 18, is in his first year of the degree, having been awarded a Year 13 scholarship by EIT last year.

The Year 13 Scholarship covers one year of tuition fees including any course related costs which have been approved to be included as part of the scholarship.

Currently the Government Fees Free policy covers the fees for the first year of study and this scholarship covers the student’s second year of study. This means two years of their degree are fees free.

“I effectively get two years of my three-year degree paid for, which delays the problem of having to find a way to cover the costs of my third year. That means I can just do it without a worry in the world. It’s awesome.”

Cory finished Year 13 at Campion College in Gisborne last year where he says was a good student. However, he was already familiar with EIT having studied computing at the Trades Academy on Tairāwhiti Campus for the past two years.

“I am not exactly new to EIT, so this has enabled me to take to it quickly. I am really enjoying the programme, especially economics.”

Cory, who has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair, says he has been made to feel welcome at EIT.

“It is a challenge, but we have an excellent disability coordinator on the Tairāwhiti Campus, Karen Albert, who goes the extra mile to make things easier and give me the support I need.”

“Also a shout-out to Mark, our maintenance guy, who’s installed catches on all of the doors so it’s easier for me to get in and out of many of the buildings.”

There is no doubt that Cory is a high achiever who does not let adversity get the better of him and one of his main pursuits outside computing and a love for aircraft, is music. He is the lead singer of Sit Down in Front, a band he formed with two childhood friends.

The band has enjoyed success, having been the opening act for Aussie rocker Jimmy Barnes when he toured here, and released two albums and an EP. Their song Pixie Caramel, which features New Zealand music legend Tiki Taane, is currently getting airtime on mainstream radio. Taane also appears in the song’s video.

While he has already achieved a lot, Cory is clear about what he wants to do.

“Obviously I’d like to become a chartered accountant, but moreover I see myself owning my own business and being based somewhere like Gisborne, Northland, or Hawke’s Bay, with the goal of being able to benefit small-town New Zealand in a meaningful way.”

“Having grown up in small-town New Zealand and had so much given to me by communities that may not necessarily always have a lot, I think it would be nice, in my later years, if I was able to give back and help those communities to grow and thrive. I would return all the love and support I was given when I was young.”

Cory says he can see himself owning a building company that would help alleviate the housing shortage, as well as picking up government contracts to refurbish hospitals and other buildings.”

“My other thing is I’m really into airplanes, and I can see the meaningful difference that having solid air connections brings to small towns. I’d love to own a regional commuter airline that can bring transport links and economic opportunities to our littlest towns who need them the most.”

For now, Cory is simply happy with life.

“I feel like I’m the luckiest bloke in the world to have the friends and family that I do and get to live the amazing life I do.”

Glen Harkness, EIT’s Executive Director, Strategic Projects and Partnerships, says EIT is pleased to be able to offer opportunities to well-deserving people like Cory.

“We are excited each year to be able to help learners pursue their passion and set them on their journey towards a degree that will be a steppingstone into the workforce.”