• Carpentry Graduate profile – EIT Tairāwhiti

Carpentry Graduate profile – EIT Tairāwhiti

July 27, 2016
“It gives me a good feeling”: Malachi Lewis (right) found the way in to a career in building things through a Level 2 and 3 Certificate in Carpentry at EIT then a great job with Sam Gavin (left) of ABC Design Builders.

ABC Designer Builders owner Sam Gavin expects a lot from his apprentices.

“All of my apprentices have been from EIT. They get good background knowledge and then it comes down to individuals and what they do with that. I’m a draftsman as well, so we’re a one-stop shop and I give my apprentices more responsibility than others might.”

An apprentice eager to rise to this challenge is 28 year-old Malachi Lewis, who joined ABC last December having completed his Level 2 and 3 Certificate in Carpentry at EIT.

“When I was 18 I worked in a furniture factory, and wanted to get into the building industry but couldn’t find anything. It wasn’t until I went to EIT that I found the career path I wanted.”

It was great to start out in building with knowledge of materials, calculations and how to safely use tools, says Malachi.

“I enjoy all of it – building has a lot of variety and it can take you around the world. Building something then looking back at it gives me a good feeling, and Sam’s been good to me from the start.”