Are you seeking a career in the outdoors?
Do you like tramping, mountain biking, paddle boarding and nature adventures?
Can you imagine turning your passion for the great outdoors into a serious career? Then the NZ Certificate in Outdoor Experiences has you covered.
This hands-on programme will teach you how to survive and navigate in the wild following the principles of personal safety and kaitiakitanga (guardianship and protection of the environment). The certificate is made up of field-trips as well as land-based and water-based activities. You will also get the opportunity to go on an overnight camping trip and build your own shelter.
This qualification will set you up for a career as a ranger, tourism guide, or for a role in the search and rescue services or defence force.
- Local tikanga and kawa
- Preparing and planning an outdoor activity
- Physical fitness
- Water-based activity – paddle boarding, snorkelling, river crossing
- Land-based activity – mountain biking, tramping, navigation
Your future career and study opportunities
Career opportunities include:
- NZ Defence Force
- Tourism industry – adventure guide
- Department of Conservation ranger
- Search and Rescue team member
- Physical Training industry
Study pathways include:
- NZ Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Services Pathway) (Level 3)
- NZ Certificate in Outdoor and Adventure Education (Multi-skilled) (Level 4)
- NZ Certificate in Exercise (Level 4)
There are three entry dates per year:
- February (Hawke’s Bay and Tairāwhiti)
- July (Ruatōrea)
- August (Hawke’s Bay only)
- February (online only)
English language entry requirements
Academic learning services
Academic Learning Services is here to assist you on your journey towards the successful completion of your studies at EIT | Te Pūkenga. Our aim is for you to become confident, competent and independent learners.
We have dedicated advisors who can assist with your learning.
Find out more:
EIT | Te Pūkenga offers a variety of scholarships across various subjects and programme levels. Some scholarships are based on your age, some are specific to the subject you want to study. Not all scholarships are based on your academic ability and anyone wanting to study should investigate what scholarships are available to them.
You can find a list of EIT | Te Pūkenga scholarships here however there are many more scholarships offered nationally. Information about these is on an database called “givME”. givME is accessible at EIT | Te Pūkenga or at some public libraries. If you would like to come to EIT | Te Pūkenga to look through the giveME database don’t hesitate to contact email@example.com or call in for a chat.