Make your Passion for Animals your Career
Turn your passion for animals into a career with the hands-on NZ Certificate in Animal Management (Companion Animals) [Level 4]. The programme will equip you with the skills and knowledge to ensure the health, safety and general welfare of animals in care facilities.
You’ll spend the majority of your time at EIT’s specialised animal facility with a purpose built reception, live animal housing, isolation unit, laboratory facilities, comprehensive library and computer facilities.
Career Opportunities and Outcomes
After completing this certificate you could progress onto the:
- NZ Certificate in Animal Technology (Veterinary Nursing Assistant) [Level 5]
- NZ Diploma in Veterinary Nursing [Level 6]
- Bachelor of Veterinary Nursing
On successful completion of this certificate you may choose to seek employment in the animal care and handling industry. These roles may include:
- Veterinary clinics, animal laboratories, pet shops, kennels or catteries as an animal care assistant
- Animal welfare agencies such as the SPCA
- Animal science research and rescue services
- Breeding establishments
- Grooming services
- Pet sitting services
During the NZ Certificate in Animal Management (Companion Animals) [Level 4] you will learn about:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Workplace safety
- Husbandry and handling
- Hygiene and preventative health
- Animal welfare and health
- Emergency response and complementary health
- Facilities management
- Breeds and behaviour
As a graduate you will be able to:
- Implement a health and safety plan in an animal care or training facility and ensure compliance with regulatory procedures.
- Take responsibility for the day-to-day animal health and husbandry in an animal care facility.
You are welcome to make an appointment to discuss your study options with our staff either in person or by phone and also to visit at any time to view our facilities. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.
There is one entry date per year:
English Language Entry Requirements
Academic Learning Services
Academic Learning Services is here to assist you on your journey towards the successful completion of your studies at EIT. Our aim is for you to become confident, competent and independent learners.
We have dedicated advisors who can assist with your learning.
Find out more:
EIT offers a variety of scholarships across various subjects and programme levels. Some scholarships are based on your age, some are specific to the subject you want to study. Not all scholarships are based on your academic ability and anyone wanting to study should investigate what scholarships are available to them.
You can find a list of EIT scholarships here however there are many more scholarships offered nationally. Information about these is on an database called “givME”. givME is accessible at EIT or at some public libraries. If you would like to come to EIT to look through the giveME database don’t hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call in for a chat.