Gain essential skills to kick start your trades career
The NZ Certificate in Foundation Skills (Automotive and Engineering) is aimed at preparing you for further study in the automotive and/or engineering industries.
This Automotive and Engineering course is a project-based learning programme. Project-based learning allows you to explore, negotiate, interpret and create quality products. Throughout this programme you will learn to link theory with practical skills.
There are two entry dates per year:
Your future career and study opportunities
You could progress onto entry level trade pre-apprentice programmes such as:
- NZ Certificate in Mechanical Engineering (Level 3), or
- NZ Certificate in Automotive Engineering (Level 3)
The NZ Certificate in Foundation Skills (Automotive and Engineering) (Level 2) consists of four courses. These are practical and hands-on but will include some theory so that you develop knowledge as well as skills.
During the practicals you will learn the skills that are needed to carry out real workplace tasks.
At the end of programme you will be able to:
- Effectively use automotive hand tools
- Carry out basic automotive maintenance
- Weld safely using several methods
- Use engineering hand tools safely
- Read and understand job sheets/job cards
- Communicate job requirements (in both written and verbal formats)
- Listen and follow instructions
- Read and interpret specifications (manuals, DVDs, manufacturers website)
- Record daily work activities
- Measure and calculate materials required for projects
You are welcome to make an appointment to talk to a teaching staff member about this programme and to have a tour of the Trades workshops.
A personal interview is part of the application process. We want to talk with you to make sure this is the right programme for your needs.
Applicants must meet one of the following criteria:
- A minimum three years secondary education; or
- Demonstrated commitment to learning
Academic learning services
Academic Learning Services is here to assist you on your journey towards the successful completion of your studies at EIT | Te Pūkenga. Our aim is for you to become confident, competent and independent learners.
We have dedicated advisors who can assist with your learning.
Find out more:
EIT | Te Pūkenga offers a variety of scholarships across various subjects and programme levels. Some scholarships are based on your age, some are specific to the subject you want to study. Not all scholarships are based on your academic ability and anyone wanting to study should investigate what scholarships are available to them.
You can find a list of EIT | Te Pūkenga scholarships here however there are many more scholarships offered nationally. Information about these is on an database called “givME”. givME is accessible at EIT | Te Pūkenga or at some public libraries. If you would like to come to EIT | Te Pūkenga to look through the giveME database don’t hesitate to contact email@example.com or call in for a chat.