• EIT | Te Pūkenga Maraenui Learning Centre holds achievement ceremony

EIT | Te Pūkenga Maraenui Learning Centre holds achievement ceremony

December 21, 2022

EIT | Te Pūkenga Maraenui Regional Learning Centre held an inaugural Certificate Achievement Ceremony to celebrate the success of students.

A recently held Certificate Achievement Ceremony celebrated the success of EIT | Te Pūkenga students studying at the Maraenui Regional Learning Centre.

The ceremony, held on Wednesday, 14 December, recognised students who completed New Zealand Certificates in Foundation Skills (Exercise and Wellbeing) [Level 2], Foundation Skills (Hair and Beauty) [Level 2], Te Pōkaitahi Reo Māori [Level 3] and Health and Wellbeing (Social and Community Services) [Level 4].

Maraenui Learning Centre Coordinator Vicky Truman says it was fantastic to take the time to celebrate each and every student in front of staff, whānau, and friends.

This year saw the introduction of new programmes at the learning centre to “support and awhi this beautiful community”.

“EIT established the Maraenui Learning Centre in 2007 to bring learning to the community and I can proudly say that in 2022 it exceeded expectations and has been the most successful year the centre has ever had.

Vicky congratulated the students for making a “conscious decision” to pick education as their goal.

“You all have been triumphant in your quest, and I look forward to seeing where this steppingstone takes you.

“What you have done by getting your qualification here is you have made us a richer and vibrant community. You’ve become leaders for those that are around us.”

TJ Nuttall (Ngāti Kahungunu, Te Arawa) completed the NZ Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Social and Community Services) [Level 4] with a strand in Mental Health and Addiction Support.

The 35-year-old has had a “colourful background” but was able to overcome his challenges and is now helping other men do the same. He has worked in the industry for a number of years, has  recently started working in the drug treatment unit at Hawkes Bay Regional Prison.

“I wanted to learn new tools for dealing with our tane (men) and have a bit more knowledge around the clinical side of things so that I can be a better facilitator.”

TJ says he learnt so much and has been able to apply his newfound knowledge to his new job, which he got as a direct result of studying.

“I have mad respect for my tutors. They were just really open, we could ask them any questions, no question was a dumb question. They were really helpful and actually encouraged us along the way.”

For Chiquita Minhinnick studying the NZ Certificate in Foundation Skills (Hair and Beauty) [Level 2] has been “life-changing”.

“I have attended courses in the past, but this has been the first graduation that I have been a part of, so it was a great feeling. It was an awesome experience, and I am actually so glad that I did it,” the 27-year-old says.

The mother of two is working towards creating her own business in the industry and is looking forward to continuing further study.