• Beauty therapy graduate on a “non-stop journey”

Beauty therapy graduate on a “non-stop journey”

October 24, 2019

Megan is giving a client a special skin treatment.

EIT graduate Megan Woollard always had a fascination for beauty and make-up. Growing up she used to make concoctions out of her mum’s blushers and powders and experimented with creams and cosmetics. Who would have thought that this early passion would one-day lead to a successful and fulfilling career.

After Megan finished high school she moved to Wellington. She took up a job in retail although beauty trends and treatments remained her secret obsession. She found Wellington a fun city to live and she loved socialising and meeting new people. However, after five years she decided to move back home. “I found that Hawke’s Bay had changed so much over all these years and it’s exciting to be part of this positive and upbeat movement,” says Megan.

One of her mother’s friends who is working in the beauty industry recommended EIT to Megan. Megan enrolled into a two-year Diploma in Beauty and Body Therapy and didn’t regret her decision. “We gained a broad theoretical knowledge including anatomy and physiology which was great. I particularly enjoyed the practical training at EIT’s beauty therapy clinic where we were looking after real clients. The second year in particular gave me much confidence,” she says.

During her second year Megan applied for a job at Caci Clinic in Havelock North, this year’s winner of NZ Best in Beauty. Megan was employed as a part-time beauty therapist, which after her graduation led to a full-time role.

“What I love most about my job are the different opportunities to upskill and the connections that I create with my clients. It all runs on a friendship basis. It’s wonderful to give people skin confidence, document their skin journey and advise them on nutrition, lifestyle options and skin care routines.” Megan labels herself as a skin care junkie. “I’m quickly done in the morning but before going to bed I strictly follow my eight-step cleaning and skincare routine,” she says.

Megan is very proactive about making her mark in the industry. She put her name forward to become the Hawke’s Bay representative for the NZ Association of Registered Beauty Professionals and has just recently taken over this position. She is enthusiastic to recruit new members and stresses how essential it is that clients turn to trained and qualified therapists.

Megan recently proved her talent and potential once again by winning the NZ Beauty Student of the Year Award. “Since my graduation it has been a non-stop journey,” she admits.

To wind down she spends a lot of time with friends and her two little nieces. Megan lives close to Waimarama and loves walks along the beach and on Te Mata Peak.

Megan aspires to become a beauty therapy tutor one day. “I would really enjoy sharing my knowledge and helping others progress and succeed.”