• Sports Scholar – Jack Nelson-Murray

Sports Scholar – Jack Nelson-Murray

July 3, 2017

In terms of my rugby, I’m still injured and expect to be sidelined for at least another six weeks.  Mentally, dealing with my injury has been extremely hard at times.  However, it has really put into perspective the importance of a back-up plan. As a result I have been working hard on my part-time studies to ensure that I’m on my way to setting up a future beyond rugby if it ever came down to that.  Business is not my first choice of career path but accepting that as a possibility is the reality.

I have been studying about three days a week as I need to also to work to have an income and pay rent etc.  Many people have asked why I don’t get a student loan, but I’m really trying to avoid that at all costs in order to be financially better off in the future.

Sometimes the stress and workload involved in balancing study, work and training sessions can be tough.  When it threatens to tip over the edge I go back to my goals of one day becoming a Magpie and of graduating with a Bachelor of Business Studies degree.  I know I will only achieve this through hard work.

For many kids, parents are their biggest inspiration and role models.  I am no exception.

Having seen the adversity and challenges my parents have overcome in their lives and the quality of upbringing they have given me – that fuels the fire for me to give my best and to make them proud.  The final goal is to one day give back to them, acknowledging all their efforts  by financially taking care of them so they are mortgage free. 

In terms of my sport, I want to repay Hawke’s Bay rugby for giving me an opportunity when no one else would and for keeping faith in me although I have been plagued by injuries. I plan to do this by trying my absolute best when I return to rugby, performing well on and off the field.