• Passion for Children and Exercise Leads to Offshore Exchange

Passion for Children and Exercise Leads to Offshore Exchange

May 21, 2015
Chance of a lifetime: Kimi Sadlier-Pirini.

Kimi Sadlier-Pirini’s love of health and fitness has led to the chance of a lifetime as an exchange student to the United Kingdom.

The EIT Tairāwhiti Certificate in Health and Fitness graduate landed a job with the YMCA while still studying, and it is through that organisation that she will shortly head offshore.

The exchange programme is with Fairthorne Manor, a sector of the YMCA Fairthorne Group.

Twenty-one-year-old Kimi, a qualified Zumba instructor, headed to EIT Tairāwhiti when looking to build more foundation around health and fitness. She had previously started a Bachelor of Nursing, but found she was more passionate about health, fitness and personal training than clinical care.

“Initially I did want to work in a clinical situation but when I discovered Zumba I found a new way of helping people, rather than waiting for them to get sick.”

She is over the moon at securing the exchange, which came through her work at the YMCA.

“I was lucky really – as part of my study we spent time at the YMCA each day and on my first day I asked if they had any employment available . . . it just went from there.”

She’s still working at the YMCA as she prepares for her seven-month exchange programme which will see her as an activity instructor in Southampton with children – something she is very passionate about.

“I have only ever been to Australia before so I am very excited. What a great opportunity to travel, see the world and do something I just love.”

On her return she hopes to complete a Bachelor of Sport and Recreation.

“One day I would love to have my own business – I love working with children, keeping them active and encouraging them to achieve their goals.”