• Post by SHB-EIT Sport Scholar – Jonathan Burfield-Mills

Post by SHB-EIT Sport Scholar – Jonathan Burfield-Mills

August 20, 2014

EIT-Jonathan-Burfield-Mills-Elite-Sportsperson-April-2014-10Hi, I’m Jonathan Burfield-Mills.  I’m 18 and in my first year at EIT studying the Diploma in Recreation and Sport.  I’ve been swimming competitively for nine years representing my club, the Heretaunga Sundevils, and Hawke’s Bay nationally and internationally.  A Sport Hawke’s Bay/EIT Sports Scholarship allows me to study and pursue my swimming goals.

Competing in the State New Zealand Long Course Open Age Championships in April this year, I was third placed in the 50m backstroke and ninth placed in the 50m butterfly and 100m backstroke.  I also competed in the New Zealand Long Course Age Group Championships in May 2014, placing second in the 50m backstroke, third in the 50m butterfly, ninth in the 100m backstroke and 10th in the 100m butterfly.

My next big competition is the 2014 New Zealand Short Course Championship in September.  My main goal for this meet is to race with perfect technique, allowing me to perform to the best of my abilities.

I would not have been able to achieve my goals without the constant support of my family, coach William Benson and Hawke’s Bay Chiropractic.

I hope to report good news from the September meet to complement the study I’ve been doing as part of my Diploma in Recreation and Sport classes.