• Post by SHB-EIT Sport Scholar – Hannah van Kampen

Post by SHB-EIT Sport Scholar – Hannah van Kampen

March 17, 2014

hannahSome of you probably remember me from last year – well I am back for my second year of study and lucky enough to be awarded the Sport Hawke’s Bay and EIT Sports Scholarship again.  Last year this scholarship and my coach Ivar Hopman, helped me to achieve in the classroom as well as on the bike.  I was able to use the scholarship to compete in a number of races against NZ’s top cyclists.

For those of you that don’t know me, my name is Hannah van Kampen and I am a road cyclist currently working towards a Bachelor of Recreation and Sport at EIT while persuing a career in competitive cycling.  Two years ago I raced for 5 months in the Netherlands and got a small taste of what its like to race as a pro cyclist.  I learned a lot and enjoyed however, I also learned how tough it can be so decided to spend some time growing as a cyclist while gaining a degree to fall back on before returning to the professional world of cycling.  Last year the sports scholarship allowed me the financial freedom that I needed to travel the country competing in cycling events.  These included the K1 Elite Women’s Race where I finished on top of the podium in 1 place, the club Nationals in Queenstown where I placed 4 in the time trial; and the Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge where I finished 2 against some of the countries top riders and a few girls from Australia.

HB Crew at Vineyards Tour

HB Crew at Vineyards Tour

So since my last blog I have been busy training, racing, working and recently back into studying.  My year started with the Tour de Vineyards on the 1 of January; it was a very quiet new years celebration with sparkling grape juice, ice-cream and an early night before racing the next day.  The tour consisted of 5 days starting with a 10km time trial to set up the overall general classification (GC) for the first road stage, day 2 was an 80km 5 lap race which saw no change to our race with everyone finishing together still leaving me in the top 10.  Day 3 was a 130km road race finishing at the top of a hill climb.  This race saw a few changes in GC however I was able to get up the climb to maintain my spot.  Day 4 was a growling 115km finishing at the top of Takika (a 10km climb). This race changed our GC a lot with a break away that included fellow Ramblers rider Ashleigh Neave who finished the day 2 putting her in 2nd overall.  I had a “dog day” finishing way back and putting me down to 18 on GC.  The final stage was a fast paced 30km 10 lap race.  As I was down on GC I played team mate with CHB rider Phoebe Tressider, to Ashleigh, helping her maintain her 2nd position, leaving it up to her to take me and Pheobe out for dinner.After the Tour de Vineyards I was home in time for the HUB tour – one of my favourites.  It is a local tour run over 3 days with 4 races, 2 road, a time trial and a criterium.  I had a good tour again putting on the very fast lucky wheels loaned to me by The HUB Cycle Centre, finishing 2nd after an epic battle up the final climb.
Next was Bev May Women’s Tour in Morrisville where I was able to take a few stage places to finish 4 overall, a result I was very happy with.  Our most recent race was the

Epic battle up the final climb at HUB tour

Gentle Annie which was by no means gentle!  The race runs from Taihape to Napier;  a total of 130km with a massive 2579m of climbing, making it the hilliest race in the country.  The HUBs lucky wheels did me proud again and I finished the Gentle Annie 3rd well deserving of a very easy ride the next day that involved more time drinking coffee than riding.Studywise I am making the most of hour lunch breaks in the library catching up and making sure there is enough time for training when I get home.  I have been working during the two days I am not at EIT which makes Wednesday challenging however I have learned to get up before the birds to fit in a gym session before work then out on the bike after.  Luckily we don’t have class till 10am on Thursday!The next few months are going to be full on and hard work but no doubt lots of fun as I build up towards the Club Nationals at the beginning of May, where I hope to achieve podium finishes in both the road race and the time trial.

Thanks for reading hope you enjoyed.