• EIT Student – Bernadette Burns

EIT Student – Bernadette Burns

January 30, 2013

Bernadette Burns, Trades Academy Student

Bernadette Burns is one of the success stories out of the very popular EIT Tairawhiti Trades Academy.

The 17-year-old won the top barista student award after a fun-filled year of weekly study. She was one of around 100 students from all over the district to be part of the inaugural academy.

Students from as far north as Te Araroa, through to Wairoa in the south, headed to the Tairawhiti campus each Friday this year to learn skills in hair and beauty, carpentry, automotive assembly, engineering, automotive and hospitality. While it gave some students a qualification, it also gave many a taste for a career, to see if it is something they wish to pursue after leaving school.

And that’s just what Burns has done. She has just been accepted into the 2013 level three hospitality course at the Gaming Industry News Weekly Recap – Tales You May Have Skipped South America2UP Gaming stated it had been near to an offer to purchase an Atlantic City as the Golden Nugget’s proprietors say they’re available to any offer Vegas Sands decided to pay $47. Tairawhiti campus and she is beside herself with excitement.

“I learnt heaps (at the trades academy), including things I didn’t even think of,” she said. “I was interested in the hospitality industry before that, but this has made me even more keen on it all.”

Burns is looking forward to her studies, and dreams of owning her own restaurant one day.

“I have my head high for what will be coming at me during the course – I just can’t wait!”

And it’s a huge help that she can study locally.

“The whole thing is just so cool!”