• EIT student ready to follow environmental passions into degree next year

EIT student ready to follow environmental passions into degree next year

December 6, 2022

Aimey completed the NZ Diploma in Environmental Management (Terrestrial strand) [Level 5] last year and the Level 6 programme at EIT | Te Pūkenga this year. Her aim is to return next year to finish the Bachelor of Applied Science (Biodiversity Management).

Born and raised in Hastings, Aimey Tahu (Ngāpuhi) followed the classic educational path expected of her, but she soon realised that she wanted something different for her life.

From Karamu High School she went straight to Massey University Palmerston North to try her hand at Veterinary Science and Biochemistry but neither pathway was leading where she wanted to go.

“On a whim, I dropped out and moved to Canada, deciding I’d come home when I knew who I was and what I wanted to do. The truth was I’d always been told what I wanted to achieve”.

Three years later Aimey, 27,  returned to Hawke’s Bay, and soon after she decided to enrol in the new Bachelor of Applied Science (Biodiversity Management) degree at the then EIT, now EIT | Te Pūkenga.

“Getting into environmental studies was a step towards aligning my career path with my personal values and long-term goals. I’m a permaculture gardener trying to self-sustain (as much as possible) from my own garden. I’m learning to sew, upcycle thrifted clothing, crochet and spin wool to make my own clothes instead of buying into fast fashion. I eat foods I believe cause as little harm as possible both ethically and environmentally.”

“My ultimate goal is to be off-grid with a group of our pals self-sustaining and living in an Earthship. I love our environment, and my previous jobs and travels highlighted how little we respect it. COVID-19 presented an opportunity to change my career trajectory.”

Aimey completed the NZ Diploma in Environmental Management (Terrestrial strand) [Level 5] last year and the Level 6 programme this year. Her aim is to return next year to finish the degree at EIT | Te Pūkenga.

“Returning to study as an adult, who knows what they want out of life, has made learning easier, enjoyable, and interesting. The course provided a space to learn and grow, focusing on self-directed study. I’ve found myself succeeding and thriving. This course allows you to get hands-on, and at the moment, (it’s going slowly) I’m implementing my lizard lounge project from Level 6, to provide ideal lizard habitat for local native skinks, and as a learning opportunity for others in the future. ”

For her efforts Aimey was one of five students awarded a prestigious Ōtātara Scholarship from the Ōtātara Trust earlier this year. The other recipients were Max Sharp (Bachelor of Creative Practice), Courtney Moody (Bachelor of Business Studies). Eftihia Karlis (Bachelor of Social Work), and Anna Kelland  (Bachelor of Wine Science & Bachelor of Viticulture concurrent).

As for work, Aimey and another student are employed by Hawke’s Bay Regional Council on the Resilient Rivers Communities project.

“The idea is that we’ve come on board to gain experience, and help them with essentially a planting programme, looking at how native plant communities can mitigate flooding events. This was another opportunity provided through my studies at EIT | Te Pūkenga”

Aimey plans to pursue postgraduate studies after her degree.

“I hope to focus on GIS analytics and delve into Mycology and Mycoremediation in my postgraduate studies (inspired by Paul Stamets), particularly incorporating the benefits of fungi into my beekeeping practices (which I’ve been learning through the NZ Certificate in Apiculture [Level 3] at EIT | Te Pūkenga).”

She is happy to recommend the NZ Diploma in Environmental Management to anyone.

“I’ve been blessed with an amazing and diverse group of peers and tutors. I never knew I’d love making maps until Dinushua Jayathilake introduced us to GIS, and now I’m hoping to find a career using GIS to solve environmental problems. Glen Robertshaw and Gordon Reid sparked a renewed passion for soil conservation. And our sustainability tutor, Gerard Henry, has changed my outlook on life and helped me become a better version of myself, encouraging short and long-term goal setting and encouraging balance in study, work, and home life. He’ll never take the credit for it, but thanks G – from the whole cohort.”

Gerard Henry, Horticulture and Environmental Educator at EIT | Te Pūkenga, says: “Aimey has natural aptitude for detail and “big picture” thinking. I wish her well with her studies and making a difference in the world as she journeys toward her environmental and life goals. Ultreia Aimey.”