• Rugby and Study: A Beneficial Collaboration from Felicity Powdrell

Rugby and Study: A Beneficial Collaboration from Felicity Powdrell

July 3, 2018

Being given the opportunity to represent my region in the sport I love is incredible, and I am grateful to the Hawke’s Bay Rugby Union and EIT for giving me a scholarship to study as well.  My area of study is a subject I’m passionate about – sport and recreation – and I’m pursuing that while also chasing my dream of becoming a professional rugby player.

I started Bachelor of Recreation and Sport studies at the beginning of the year, jumping straight into the second year of the degree as I had already completed the diploma.  I love studying, expanding my knowledge on the science behind nutrition and physical training, anatomy and physiology.  Because I’m focused on developing as a competitive athlete in my sport, I’m intensely interested in what is taught in class – more so than if I were only focused on passing the course.  I can apply everything I am learning to my own nutrition and training regime.  Discovering how my body functions means I can work out the best possible programme to reach my goals.  From the psychology class I’ve been able to learn about controlling the mental aspects of my game as well.

As this year has progressed, we’ve had to work a certain number of hours on placement for a sporting institution of our choice.  I was able to take part in the Junior Magpies coaching programme held over the holidays.  I’ve never been very confident with coaching, especially coaching a large group of kids.  However, over the course of my placement I found my tongue and learnt to coach, and by the last day I was confidently coaching kids skills in the game I love.  This is one of many prime examples of how my study is intertwined with my sport, and how I am gaining great benefit from the interaction between both.

Felicity Powdrell