Sports Scholar – Sara Deam

July 4, 2017

My name is Sara Deam and I am in the final stages of my Bachelor of Recreation and Sport and New Zealand Diploma in Business studies.  I have decided that once I finish at EIT I will start my apprenticeship with a local golf professional to become a professional golf coach.  This career is perfect for me as I am deeply passionate about all things golf related especially coaching and growing the game of golf here in Hawke’s Bay.

On top of all my study commitments I have represented the Hawke’s Bay & Poverty Bay Golf Association at a junior and now senior women’s level.  I was part of the winning Hawke’s Bay and Poverty Bay team which won the Sybil Green and Judy Pearson cups, going through both tournaments undefeated.  I was also runner-up in both the Strokeplay and Matchplay events at the New Zealand Māori Golf Championships for 2017.

With results like this, I am determined to become the number one woman golfer in Hawke’s Bay and Poverty Bay.   This will take a lot more training and commitment to golf, which the scholarship has already helped me achieve so far this year.

I look forward to seeing where my golfing career will take me in 2017 and the scholarship has played an enormous part already.  This scholarship has helped me concentrate better on my study and golfing career by relieving the financial pressure of studying and training full-time.