Student Ends Year On A High

December 15, 2016

ardene-keefeEIT business student Andrene Keefe has emerged from her most challenging year ever with a renewed sense of purpose.

With Cook Islander, Tahitian, Ngāti Kahungunu, Irish and Scottish genes in her ancestral mix, Andrene aims to complete a master’s degree that will qualify her to help her cultures and community.

“I believe my purpose in life is to be able to help others,” the 34-year-old says. 

Andrene’s grandmother, a full Rarotongan from Arorangi, moved to New Zealand in the 1940s.  She spoke both Rarotongan and Māori.

“She was the matriarch of the family and instilled teachings into her children, which my mother then instilled into me.  My great great-grandmother was Tahitian.  I am very proud of my heritage as it makes me, me.”

Ending the 2016 year with two courses towards a Diploma in Applied Business, Andrene was particularly delighted with her A mark for Fundamentals in Marketing. 

She failed some courses but sees that in the context of her struggles, managing the competing demands of work, parenting and studying while also having to deal with some serious personal issues. 

“The last year has been very challenging,” she admits.  “I’ve had to reassess everything.  I believe this was a life lesson that has made me a better person.  I know what my strengths are and I am working on my weaknesses.”

She now has her sights set on a bachelor’s degree and intends to continue at EIT, progressing to a master’s with health as the study focus.  Currently working as a volunteer in the community, she  wants a career where she can assist the elderly and – the Hastings mother of Kristen, 15 and Antigua, 5, says – the plan is to do that locally.

“I want to help with the knowledge I receive.”

Born in Hawke’s Bay, Andrene moved with her family to Melbourne when she was five years old.  She completed her schooling in Australia and owns to being “more or less Australianised” when she moved back to this region 10 years ago.  Since then she has developed a strong sense of belonging and is pleased she came back to Hawke’s Bay when she did.

“I got to spend a year with my father before his death from drowning, the result of a diving accident.  Something told me to come back”.

In 2005, she took her eldest daughter to Rarotonga for a family reunion and she plans returning with both daughters within the next five years.  “My mother has siblings who live in Rarotonga and we keep in regular contact.” 

She appreciates the support she has had from business school lecturers like Regan Cotter, who says she definitely has the ability to achieve. 

“I do see that I have potential and now I want to focus on that,” Andrene says.  “This last semester has been a bit of a stepping stone.  Reflecting on the last year, I now see that dreams are achievable.”