• Home
  • Year 13 Degree Study Grant FAQs

Year 13 Degree Study Grant FAQs

Who can apply for this scholarship?

Year 13 students who:
■ Study at a school (or are home-schooled) in Hawke’s Bay, Tairāwhiti and Taupō or

Year 13 students who:
■ Are applying for the Bachelor of Māori Visual Arts, the Bachelor of Viticulture, the Bachelor of Wine Science and the Bachelor of Viticulture / Wine Science Concurrent and study at any school in New Zealand
■ Meet degree entry criteria or expect to pending final NCEA results
■ Are a New Zealand Citizen or hold a New Zealand Residency permit
■ Enrol to study full-time – 120 credits / 1 Equivalent Full-time Student (1 EFT)
■ Enrol for a degree that starts in February

Do I need to have all of my NCEA results before I apply?

No, you can apply anytime and just include your NCEA results so far (or equivalent qualification if you are not studying NCEA).

Is there an application deadline?

1 October is the priority application date for Hawke’s Bay Study and 31 October is the priority application date for Gisborne study,  although some degrees may be open later.

What degrees can I study?

■ Bachelor of Arts (Māori)
■ Bachelor of Business Studies
■ Bachelor of Computing Systems
■ Bachelor of Māori Visual Arts
■ Bachelor of Nursing
■ Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science
■ Bachelor of Social Work
■ Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood Education)
■ Bachelor of Teaching (Primary)
■ Bachelor of Creative Practice 
■ Bachelor of Viticulture
■ Bachelor of Wine Science
■ Bachelor of Viticulture and Bachelor of Wine Science (Concurrent)

■ Bachelor of Veterinary Nursing (subject to approval)

■ Ideaschool Diplomas who are transitioning to Bachelor of Creative Practice in second year.

What does the scholarship cover?

The scholarship covers one year of tuition fees and one year of any course related costs which have been approved to be part of the scholarship.

Are there additional costs?

You are responsible for any additional costs over and above one year of tuition fees and approved course related costs. Additional costs could include the Students Services Levy, books and any additional courses that you choose to take over and above full-time study.

When will I know if I’m accepted at EIT?

Students are usually accepted into a programme with conditional entry, which means that confirmation of acceptance is subject to your final Level 3 NCEA results and / or an interview.

Am I eligible for a scholarship if my home address is outside of Hawke’s Bay, Tairāwhiti or Taupō?

Yes, if you are at school within the region or are applying for the following degrees which are open to students nationwide: Bachelor of Māori Visual Arts, Bachelor of Viticulture, Bachelor of Wine Science and Bachelor of Viticulture and Wine Science Concurrent.

Am I ‘locked in’ for the duration of the degree or can I go to another tertiary institute after the first or second year of study?

No, you are not locked in.

What cross credit arrangements does EIT have with other tertiary institutions?

EIT has a number of cross credit arrangements in place for different degrees. Please contact the programme secretary for details.

Who can help with my decision making or completing the application form(s)?

We have a team of Liaison Advisors on campus and a Careers Counsellor who can help guide you. Email us or call us for help.

If I have completed one degree level course through STAR at school, will that count towards my degree?

Possibly, it might count depending on the degree. You will still need to take a full load of courses (120 credits / 1 EFT) within your first year.

Can I apply for more than one scholarship?

Yes, you can apply for various scholarships from different organisations. You can look online at the givME – Generosity database available at EIT. It lists every scholarship and grant available in New Zealand.

What is the difference between a degree at University and a degree at EIT?

EIT offers vocational study that is tailored to the regions specific requirements, meaning you are qualified and work ready to get local in-demand jobs. You no longer need to leave home to get a recognised degree as our degrees (Bachelors) are equal to those offered at New Zealand Universities. In fact, research shows that EIT graduates are viewed by local employers to be as good as graduates from anywhere else. (Troy, V. (2013) EIT 2013 Community and Stakeholder Brand Survey. Hawke’s Bay, New Zealand: SIL Research)

Is my scholarship transferable from one EIT degree to another (eg. Bachelor of Primary Teaching to Bachelor of Early Childhood Teaching)?

Yes, it could be in agreement with the Marketing Director in Hawke’s Bay or Campus Director in Tairāwhiti. If you have been offered the scholarship but decide to pursue a different degree, you could transfer it as long as you meet the degree entry criteria.