This programme offers an introduction to the concepts and principles of sustainable land management. It is aimed at learners who would like to sustainably develop and maintain their own or community land. Learners will increase their awareness of sustainable management practices that can be applied to many of the horticultural sectors.
At Tairāwhiti campus this programme is offered conjointly with the Primary Industries Skills [Level 2] programme (Growing Natives).
The purpose of this qualification is to provide the land based primary industries with individuals who are able to apply sustainable practices to current operations or to a new activity.
This qualification is designed to recognise those graduates who have undertaken projects that focus specifically on improving sustainability in our environment.
Learners will benefit by having the skills and knowledge to actively contribute to the performance of a land based industry or process using best practice to enhance sustainability.
Primary industries and local communities will benefit by having graduates who can apply sustainability practices for the long term benefit of the community and the environment.
This qualification is targeted at people who work or live in, or have an interest in, land based primary industries.
Graduates will be capable of working under limited supervision with responsibility for work outcomes.
Various start dates throughout the year.
Graduates of this qualification are likely to be employed as
- Iwi workers
- Community Council workers
Academic requirements – NCEA Level 1 OR;
- A qualification at Level 1 or above, with evidence of Literacy and Numeracy abilities equivalent to NCEA (Level 1), OR
- Evidence of relevant knowledge and experience, including Literacy and Numeracy abilities equivalent to NCEA Level 1. In the latter two situations the applicant may be required to participate in an enrolment interview with the purpose of verifying the evidence.
This qualification may build on the NZ Certificate Primary Industry Skills [Level 2]) and may lead on to:
- NZ Certificate in Horticulture (General) [Level 3].
- NZ Certificate in Horticulture (Fruit Production) [Level 3].
- NZ Certificate in Sustainable Primary Production [Level 4].
Academic Learning Services
Academic Learning Services is here to assist you on your journey towards the successful completion of your studies at EIT. Our aim is for you to become confident, competent and independent learners.
We have dedicated advisors who can assist with your learning.
Find out more: