The purpose of this qualification is to provide the forestry industry with individuals who have the skills and knowledge required to be employed in a production role in a commercial establishment or silviculture operation.
Graduates will be able to work under limited supervision to meet quality requirements of a job prescription.
This programme is run in Partnership with Manaia Safe
Please visit their website www.trainmeqsl.co.nz or contact:
Henry Koia (Programme Co-ordinator) 0276262421 email firstname.lastname@example.org or
Steve Beach (Programme Manager) 0273 118 685
Career Opportunities & Outcomes
Graduates of the New Zealand Certificate in Forest Operations L3 programme will be able to pursue work in a forest harvesting crew carrying out work on the landing or in the cutover.
The purpose of this qualification is to provide the forest industry with individuals who have the skills and knowledge required to be employed in a production role in a commercial establishment or silviculture operation. Graduates will be able to work under limited supervision to meet quality requirements of a job prescription.
Graduates of this qualification will be able to:
- Apply an understanding of health and safety responsibilities, hazard management, emergency procedures and communication systems to maintain safety during chemical handing, mensuration, pruning, or thinning operations in a commercial forest.
- Apply an understanding of personal and environmental factors affecting forestry operations in order to protect personal wellbeing, team relationships and the physical environment, including historical sites and areas of cultural significance to Maori
- Operate and maintain a chainsaw in a commercial forestry operation
- Select trees and apply basic tree felling cuts to thin trees to waste in a production situation
Please feel free to make an appointment to discuss your study options. You can meet with our staff in person at our Tairāwhiti campus, or simply give us a call on 0800 22 55 348. And, you’re most welcome to visit and view our facilities at any time.
- NCEA Level 1 or;
- A qualification at Level 1 or above, with evidence of literacy and numeracy abilities equivalent to NCEA (Level 1), or
- Evidence of relevant knowledge and experience, including literacy and numeracy abilities equivalent to NCEA (Level 1). (In this case the applicant may be required to participate in an enrolment interview with the purpose of verifying the evidence).
- 16 years of age at the time the programme commences
- Students must be physically fit and able to complete practical work. For health and safety purposes, applicants must submit a completed Personal Health Status Declaration to confirm that they will be physically capable of working in the forestry harvesting environment. (refer to Appendix 6).
Enrolment onto the programme is conditional on the student agreeing to undergo drug screening as indicated by signing the Student Drug-Free Agreement for the New Zealand Certificate in Forest Harvesting Operations (Level 3)
This qualification can lead to the New Zealand Certificate in Forestry Industry Operations (Level 4)
Academic Learning Services
Academic Learning Services is here to assist you on your journey towards the successful completion of your studies at EIT. Our aim is for you to become confident, competent and independent learners.
We have dedicated advisors who can assist with your learning.
Find out more: