You Can Be a Manager
Flexible monthly start dates. Please contact the Programme Secretary:
Wendy Nichol – Phone: 06 830 1116. Email
The purpose of this qualification is to provide New Zealand business entities with people who can manage effective teams when employed in first line management roles. In particular:
Graduates of this qualification will have:
Technical knowledge and skills:
- Manage work flows in an operational context to achieve team goals.
- Assess against agreed criteria and respond appropriately to achieve operational objectives.
- Motivate and involve a team to achieve the team’s objectives and contribute to the entity’s objectives.
- Communicate to develop relationships with team members and stakeholders.
- Manage relationships within a team to sustain a productive workplace environment.
- Promote an inclusive environment to value diversity for positive performance for the entity.
- Demonstrate professional and ethical behaviour, in a socially and culturally appropriate manner in leading a team.
Business environment skills:
- Adapt leadership styles for effectiveness in different environments.
- Comply with internal policies, legislation and other external requirements for the entity.
Career Opportunities & Outcomes
Career opportunities could open up as a result of completing the NZ Certificate in Business (First Line Management). These may include roles as team leader, supervisor, or manager of a small team.
On successful completion of this programme, youwill be able to:
- Manage teams to achieve organisational goals in New Zealand business entities.
- Manage teams in an effective manner in a bi- and multi-cultural environment.
You can go on to study the NZ Diploma in Business [Level 5] with courses in accounting, administration and technology, leadership and management, and project management. You could also take on the NZ Diploma in Business [Level 6].
- 40 credits NCEA Level 1, including 10 literacy credits and 10 numeracy credits, OR
- NZ Certificate in Business (Introduction to Team Leadership) [Level 3], OR
- Even if you don’t have the necessary qualifications you may still be approved for entry if you can show you have the literacy and numeracy skills needed for tertiary study through other study, work and/or life experience.
Academic Learning Services
Academic Learning Services is here to assist you on your journey towards the successful completion of your studies at EIT. Our aim is for you to become confident, competent and independent learners.
We have dedicated advisors who can assist with your learning.
Find out more:
EIT offers a variety of scholarships across various subjects and programme levels. Some scholarships are based on your age, some are specific to the subject you want to study. Not all scholarships are based on your academic ability and anyone wanting to study should investigate what scholarships are available to them.
You can find a list of EIT scholarships here however there are many more scholarships offered nationally. Information about these is on an database called “givME”. givME is accessible at EIT or at some public libraries. If you would like to come to EIT to look through the giveME database don’t hesitate to contact email@example.com or call in for a chat.