With this entry level qualification you will develop the skills that will see you contribute safely and effectively to a primary industry sector. Flexible delivery options allow this qualification to suit both those that are looking to upskill or for those looking to start their career in primary industries. Whether you are pursuing a career in agriculture, as a graduate, you will have the introductory practical skills and knowledge relevant to your chosen career pathway. On completion of this programme, you can pursue entry-level roles in the primary industry sector, or undertake further study in agriculture related disciplines.
You will complete two compulsory courses in this qualification:
- Safe Work Practices – application of safe work practices in primary production.
- Introduction to Primary Industries – carry out primary production tasks associated with an entry level role in a primary industry context.
This is a 12 week programme that has various start dates throughout the year.
You will need a pair of boots, preferably steel caps, for this course.
Also offered in conjunction with:
- NZ Certificate in Agriculture (Vehicles, Machinery and Infrastructure)
- NZ Certificate in Agriculture (Farming Systems) (Level 3)
Various start dates throughout the year.
The New Zealand Certificate in Primary Industry Skills is an open entry programme. No formal qualifications are required however you must be;
- 16 years of age at the time the programme commences
- Be physically able to complete the programme specific outcomes
Career Opportunities and Outcomes
Graduates of this qualification will have the skills and knowledge to obtain entry level roles in the primary sector, specifically in agriculture such as:
- Casual farm worker.
- Relief milker.
- Junior farm assistant.
This qualification is an entry pathway for learners without qualifications who are seeking employment, or are newly employed, in the primary industries.
On successful completion you may choose to continue with your studies by enrolling in the;
- New Zealand Certificate in Agriculture (Vehicles, Machinery and Infrastructure) (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Agriculture (Farming Systems) (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture (General) (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture (Fruit Production) (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Land Based Sustainable Practices (Level 3)
Academic Learning Services
Academic Learning Services is here to assist you on your journey towards the successful completion of your studies at EIT. Our aim is for you to become confident, competent and independent learners.
We have dedicated advisors who can assist with your learning.
Find out more: